Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Default May 2nd visit

Today my wife, daughter, and I visited the ss. We are from wisconsin and this was our third visit to the store in the last couple of years. Three weeks ago we had the opportunity to visit Bastogne, Belgium and for the first time my daughter became interested in ww2 history. So much so that she wanted me to find her a ww2 garand. We arrived at 11:30 and we were the only ones in the store. I had warned my 16 year old daughter that the chances of finding a ww2 receiver and matching barrel in a field grade was almost zero. We immediately went to the field grade rack at the back of the store and all that was there was H&Rs. Suddenly Mike shows up by our side and asks if he can help. He takes us to another rack near by us where a beautiful 1943 SA with an original barrel has my daughter's name on it. I can't tell you how happy we are. Mike then goes over the whole rifle, disassembling and Gaging everything and instructs my daughter and I along the way. he then helps my daughter select a proper 1943 bayonet and even installed the proper bolt which I purchased to complete our 1943 beauty. My daughter can't wait to clean and restore this m1 and is chopping at the bit to take her out on the range. I can't thank the cmp and especially Mike for our wonderful experience. Thank you!

Last edited by Taborka; 05-02-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM

A great adventure recounted and a fine testimony to the excellence of the South Store staff. Congrats.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM

That is an awesome story!

My 16-year old son is very excited about the HRA on the way!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Mike's a great guy.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Mike spent almost an hour helping us and providing instruction. I had also purchased a krag carbine on my trip (not cmp) and he looked up the details for me on that rifle as well. I love the cmp!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Thanks for posting Taborka. I just read your post to my wife to help her understand why the CMP is such a great organization and why I spend time on the forum. We are both WW2 history buffs and hopefully she now better understands and appreciates the connection to the Greatest Generation the CMP provides.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM

And that is one of the greatest things the CMP can accomplish...igniting the embers of memory in a young life. With that kind of impact, our country still has hope.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM

The CMP mission in a nut shell. Taking your daughter to Belgium and Bastogne was a big plus too. Lets just say the CMP was the icing on the cake.
I assume her 1943 SA was a field grade? Can you post pics and a parts list. I'm curious what ME and TE are?
CONGRATS!!!

Last edited by Hunter Mag; 05-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM

Any pictures of the "New" rifle?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM

We had the rifle shipped. We will get pictures of her rifle next week. She want to restore it after she read all the replies. I'm really looking forward to working with her on this project. It's our first.

Tags
my daughters ww2 garand