Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

We have decided to restore my daughter's ww2 rifle to it's original configuration. This is new to us but I'm really looking foreword to doing this with my daughter. We have an original trigger group and barrel. After that I'm not sure what we have. We shipped the rifle home so I will post pictures when we get home. Exciting!!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM

yes, the rifle is a field grade with a field replaced stock with the circled P and the non-circled P. readings were a 2.5 ME and a 3 TE. My daughter insists on not replacing the stock so we will have to figure out how to clean the stock without removing the cartouches. Please reply on any advice you have for us.

Last edited by Taborka; 05-05-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taborka View Post
yes, the rifle is a field grade with a field replaced stock with the circled P and the non-circled P. readings were a 2.5 ME and a 3 TE. My daughter insists on not replacing the stock so we will have to figure out how to clean the stock without removing the cartouches. Please reply on any advice you have for us.
This is just one way I restore stocks and someone is sure to come along to tell you "a better way" but it works for me-

I have a long laborious method - about 4 hours per stock - the method gets out most all the cosmoline and removes most all of the dents - First disassemble the wood from metal - I then use old towels - I cut them into sections - I soak them in water and place over the area of wood to refurbish - (STAY AWAY FROM THE CARTOUCHES) I then use a steam iron set on high and run the iron over the soaked towel while pressing the steam release button on the iron. I then rub the hot towel over the area wiping away the cosmo. Only use one side of the towel - Rinse towel in hot water and repeat same area. If the towel gets too fouled I use a fresh section. I have even used this method to completely remove armory numbers stamped into stock. (I am sure some wouldn't remove the armory numbers because blah blah blah) DO NOT USE MOM'S FAVORITE IRON! buy a cheap one or buy mom a new one and use the old one.

I then let the stock dry over night and repeat the process - sometimes several times - when I get to the point where I like it - I let it dry again and then rub tung oil on it. A couple of coats at most because I don't really want it to look brand new. I still want it to look GI - If you want stock completely restored there are lots of videos on youtube about it.

Go on youtube and watch others do other methods and find one you are comfortable with. Just don't completely use any submerging method because you will loose those cartouches.

Hope this helps-

Last edited by bluemaloney; 05-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 AM

I do what bluemaloney suggests to get dents and dings out.

I would first get a bottle of mineral spirits and cotton towels and wipe the stock and hand guards down generously with that to remove most of the cosmoline before using steam.

This will not damage the wood, will remove most of the cosmoline first, save on towels for the steam and give you a basic look at the stock before you start steaming dents.

The steam will bring out more cosmo, but you don't want to steam and swell the whole stock, just areas of major dings that need correction. Some dents and dings will stay to give it that "battle worthy look"

The only way to remove all dings and dents is to put the wood in the dish washer (yes the dish washer!) but you will likely lose all the cartouches so I don't recommend that!.

John

Tags
my daughters ww2 garand