Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 PM

My FG shipped. Rob picked out a 6 digit for me (776551). I look forward to seeing all the pics as these show up next week!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Great post, probably the most comprehensive store report in recent years.
Well, I know what I saw last month at the store, and they were SA SGSs. I know what I heard over the phone last month when I called the store, and it was "Service Grade Specials." I don't know how to explain the discrepancy between what the staff is now saying and what I witnessed and heard, but there ya go. Rack replenishers from the grassy knoll. My last mention of this subject is now over.
It appears that barrel condition for field grades has diminished over the past few months. As recent as March, it was not difficult to find a field grade at the South Store reading 1.5/3. I think that the grading of rifles is reverting back to the actual grade descriptions listed on the Sales page.
Actually, this is a case where I'm happy to stand corrected, though I think this is a first that BOTH Mike and Leon are! Personally, I found the previous reports and clarifications of SGSs convincing, but when I mentioned it yesterday, they looked at me like I had a giraffe tail growing out of my head!
Well, a HRA SGS showed up today...pointed it out to Leon and he summed it up with one simple word, "Huh."
Spoke with one of the armorers and basically they are producing SGS models sporadically...a few here and there, just enough for the floor but not mail order.
No prediction on when/how many in the near future...most of their efforts are focused on the SG backlog. The only thing I had considered purchasing this trip was a SA SGS and possibly a nice FG to satisfy my own SG back order, but it's been a great time nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Sounds like the pickins was fairly good (yesterday),
I plan to go down Saturday morning and am feeling a little apprehensive about what might be left there.

Oh well, I have never been disappointed on a trip down and I don't expect this to be my first time. Maybe Lean or Jerremy will bring oput a fresh rack

not that Rob, the other one,
Rob
Good evening Rob. Yes, pickings are indeed very slim (see next post)...Jeremy brought out some ammo just before closing, but that was about it.
Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdog View Post
Rob, Thanks for your expertise and service!
You bet John...my pleasure to help each of you out and thanks to each of you for the kind words.

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Rob, what are they having you do while you volunteer?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 PM

GeeBee, you had mentioned the Daisy Drill Rifles in your original post. This has my interest piqued, as a possible basis for building a floor lamp. However, I can't seem to find them on the CMP sales page. Do you remember what the price was on those?

Kilroy was here
Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 PM

$99.99 last time I checked 2 months ago

SSgt
=Operation Iraqi Freedom 2010=
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default 23 May report

Well, as mentioned earlier, NSTR as far as rifles. Stopped by the store in the morning to follow up on some paperwork before going over to volunteer. They brought out a total of 4 rifles this morning..3 SA FGs and the single HRA SGS. Got one of the FG for one of the guys I was assisting who wanted a SA SGS.
When I stopped by at lunch, then again at closing...no more rifles.

Just before closing, Jeremy did bring out some ammo. In addition to most of the ammo that was there yesterday, they brought out the following:
1. 16 cans of British "K" 1953 head-stamped M2 equivalent, 250 rounds each in VG condition cloth belts with starters. Apparently, it is corrosive. $125
Talking with Orest, it showed up from Greece mixed in with the HXP. Almost all the cans are original marked WWII cans; unfortunately, they are all in various stages of rust.
2. 7 boxes of the API, 100 rounds each for the same price as on e-store when they were there...$275.
3. 12 boxes of linked Remington (RA) 1954 head-stamped M2 ball in metal links with starters.

That's all there is to report as far as new stuff.
Spent most of the day helping build frames and some time in shipping. We all had a neat gee-whiz moment when we processed a Garand for the grown child of a certain well-known billionaire!

I did spend some time looking at and evaluating the drill rifles, particularly the presentation models. These differ from the traditional drill rifles in that they have the bolt face welded, the breech welded off (as opposed to a rod or plug), and a weld to the bottom of the barrel and receiver. All in all, the work is clean, as opposed to the other drill rifles where they torch cut the bottom of the receiver and the barrel almost to the lower band. Condition-wise, the metal on these rifles is in great shape. Presentation models are $500, traditionals are $345.
Tell you what though, it'll break your heart. Found a 6-digit that had a matching 10/41 barrel, both in original finish. Found several SA 1M models with lead-dipped heals that were immaculate (notwithstanding the weld damage).
I found one that is very nice and not too bad of a weld...debating getting it and replacing the barrel.
Found many with un-cut op-rods, several with lock-bars, Type II and III. Another customer and I looked over a 4.3 SA that appeared it went straight from the box to drill rifle conversion! All original parts with no wear, and it hadn't been re-finished like some of the others.
Vast majority had thermal distress signs where they completed the welds...a real shame.

On an interesting side note, and related to a thread in the Garand section, did receive word that there are certain people who are purchasing drill rifles, converting them and re-selling them. Beware.

Found a coupla interesting traditional drill rifles...one with a HRA 3/8" DAS stock with matching hand guards. Had a rack number stamped into it by the butt plate. Found another from the same unit...an SA with faint SA/GAW & RIA/EB rebuild stamp.

An older gentleman came in with his son and both picked up SA CMP Specials. The son got a 6-digit with SA-52 and O-66 rebuild markings on the heel! Helped him break it down and it had an uncut -6 op rod!!! Nice find for his first Garand. And his dad got a 3M also with an un-cut -9 op rod!
Found some other Specials with O-65 & 66 marked heels.
There were actually quite a few customers at lunch and the afternoon, after only a couple in the morning. Met and talked with Mississippi Kid...very nice guy and enjoyed passing the time with him yesterday and today.
Had a light-hearted discussion about Garand bayonets and the old ragged stock Leon has hanging at the counter turn into a full-blown & passionate conspiracy talk from one gentleman about how Russia secretly assassinated Patton. Had to walk away from that one.
Had a pleasant conversation with Orest...I both envy and pity the man.
Store came to a halt at lunch when a VERY attractive student from Univ of Alabama came in looking for a rifle on behalf of one of her family members. WOW...poor Jon was worthless the rest of the day!
Most of the customers there ended up getting the CMP Specials...SA models are down to half of what they were yesterday.

Just another day at the store. Look forward to another tomorrow!

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-24-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Thanks for another update ! Looks like the SA FG you picked out for me is shipping tonight and should receive it Tuesday after the holiday I assume
Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 AM

Default Darn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Well, as mentioned earlier, NSTR as far as rifles. Stopped by the store in the morning to follow up on some paperwork before going over to volunteer. They brought out a total of 4 rifles this morning..3 SA FGs and the single HRA SGS. Got one of the FG for one of the guys I was assisting who wanted a SA SGS.
When I stopped by at lunch, then again at closing...no more rifles.

Just before closing, Jeremy did bring out some ammo. In addition to most of the ammo that was there yesterday, they brought out the following:
1. 16 cans of British "K" 1953 head-stamped M2 equivalent, 250 rounds each in VG condition cloth belts with starters. Apparently, it is corrosive. $125
Talking with Orest, it showed up from Greece mixed in with the HXP. Almost all the cans are original marked WWII cans; unfortunately, they are all in various stages of rust.
2. 7 boxes of the API, 100 rounds each for the same price as on e-store when they were there...$275.
3. 12 boxes of linked Remington (RA) 1954 head-stamped M2 ball in metal links with starters.

That's all there is to report as far as new stuff.
Spent most of the day helping build frames and some time in shipping. We all had a neat gee-whiz moment when we processed a Garand for the grown child of a certain well-known billionaire!

I did spend some time looking at and evaluating the drill rifles, particularly the presentation models. These differ from the traditional drill rifles in that they have the bolt face welded, the breech welded off (as opposed to a rod or plug), and a weld to the bottom of the barrel and receiver. All in all, the work is clean, as opposed to the other drill rifles where they torch cut the bottom of the receiver and the barrel almost to the lower band. Condition-wise, the metal on these rifles is in great shape. Presentation models are $500, traditionals are $345.
Tell you what though, it'll break your heart. Found a 6-digit that had a matching 10/41 barrel, both in original finish. Found several SA 1M models with lead-dipped heals that were immaculate (notwithstanding the weld damage).
I found one that is very nice and not too bad of a weld...debating getting it and replacing the barrel.
Found many with un-cut op-rods, several with lock-bars, Type II and III. Another customer and I looked over a 4.3 SA that appeared it went straight from the box to drill rifle conversion! All original parts with no wear, and it hadn't been re-finished like some of the others.
Vast majority had thermal distress signs where they completed the welds...a real shame.

On an interesting side note, and related to a thread in the Garand section, did receive word that there are certain people who are purchasing drill rifles, converting them and re-selling them. Beware.

Found a coupla interesting traditional drill rifles...one with a HRA 3/8" DAS stock with matching hand guards. Had a rack number stamped into it by the butt plate. Found another from the same unit...an SA with faint SA/GAW & RIA/EB rebuild stamp.

An older gentleman came in with his son and both picked up SA CMP Specials. The son got a 6-digit with SA-52 and O-66 rebuild stamps! Helped him break it down and it had an uncut -6 op rod!!! Nice find for his first Garand. And his dad got a 3M also with an un-cut -9 op rod!
Found some other Specials with O-65 & 66 marked heals.
There were actually quite a few of customers at lunch and the afternoon, after only a couple in the morning. Met and talked with Mississippi Kid...very nice guy and enjoyed passing the time with him yesterday and today.
Had a light-hearted discussion about Garand bayonets and the old ragged stock Leon has hanging at the counter turn into a full-blown & passionate conspiracy talk from one gentleman about how Russia secretly assassinated Patton. Had to walk away from that one.
Had a pleasant conversation with Orest...I both envy and pity the man.
Store came to a halt at lunch when a VERY attractive student from Univ of Alabama came in looking for a rifle on behalf of a family member. WOW...poor Jon was worthless the rest of the day!
Most of the customers there ended up getting the CMP Specials...SA models are down to half of what they were yesterday.

Just another day at the store. Look forward to another tomorrow!

Regards,
Rob
These reports are great reading too bad you don't live closer so you can do them all the time.
Jim

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 05-24-2014, 04:18 AM

Kilroy, AFCOP is correct. perhaps they weren't listed due to there only being a small amount of them.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Can't wait to get the rifle Rob picked out for me. It will be my first Garand.