Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 AM

Default Defective Winchester Primers damage M96 bolt.

I know this may be old news to some, but maybe not everyone. Last Saturday we had our monthly Vintage Military Rifle match. I shot my M96 and did OK. I noticed several of the fired cases had dirty heads. I'd seen this before on other rifles, so I didn't get too excited. Not this time. Check out the pictures on the links below. If you see case heads that look like these, stop shooting before your bolt face looks like mine. These cartridges were loaded with Winchester Large Rifle Primers, 140gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets, 34 gr of IMR 4895 powder. The brass had been fired 3 times before and was neck sized. I contacted Winchester through their website this morning and am waiting their reply. I buy primers in bulk, so I probably have a lot more of these primers.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Interesting;

It will be interesting to see what Winchester has to say. Thanks for the info. How long have you had the primers? Lot numbers?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM

I've had the primers for several years. I haven't got the lot numbers together yet. There will be more than one lot though. I use WLR primers in the bolt guns and WLM primers in the Highwall. I stocked up prior to the last presidential election. I've been checking my other rifles. Here are pics of my K31 and the worst, my Browning 1885 Highwall BPCR rifle. Some may fault me for not catching this sooner, but in my defense, I have been shooting M1 Garands a lot lately and I only use CCI 34 primers in my Garands. As for the Highwall which has the most damage, you can't see its bolt face without disassembling the receiver, which is almost never needed.

Last edited by NCTinkerer; 06-30-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM

Your brass looks a little buggered, you sure the primer pockets were good to go- proper size and free of debris/carbon when the primers were seated?

Ok I see you've added a pic of a different caliber bolt now.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM

Another rifle bolt. This is getting pretty discouraging. This is from my Smith Corona 1903A3. I clean the primer pockets after tumbling the brass. The 40-65 brass for the 1885 High Wall gets cleaned in a water/soap tumbler and the primer pockets on them is really clean.

Last edited by NCTinkerer; 06-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Could it be the primer pockets have opened up a bit, and it's not the primers themselves?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Guys,

No, this is not a primer pocket issue. I have experience the same pin-hole gas escape around some Winchester primers I have. It is a fairly well known phenomenon with some of the past year's Winchester Large Rifle primers.

Don
Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Just last week a few friends and I were talking about Winchester primers being a bit undersized and now this thread shows up.

NcTinkerer: Could you please mic those primers and tell us the size ? What color box..white or blue ? Maybe any lot numbers on boxes ?

By the way,you belong to a top shelf club. Good folks there .
Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 PM

I have been using Winchester primers primarily for years and noticed the same circular pattern on the face of my M1. I know its not my case prep methods I.e. primer pockets out of spec. Other than cosmetic appearance should I be concerned? My rifles still shoot fine.

Last edited by Mac Attack; 06-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:05 PM

Below is a pic of the last primer package I emptied. I know this is not limited to one lot # though because I had the same problem with both WLR and WLRM primers. The cups on the remaining primers measure .210 diameter and .118 height. I measured 5 and all were about the same.

Tags
defective, primers, winchester