Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
I have been using Winchester primers primarily for years and noticed the same circular pattern on the face of my M1. I know its not my car prep methods I.e. primer pockets out of spec. Other than cosmetic appearance should I be concerned? My rifles still shoot fine.
If you are seeing the pinholes in the fired primers, I'd be concerned. If you are just seeing a circle on the bolt face, there may be another explanation.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM

I had the same issue with D coded WLR primmers. WRA took care of my and made me whole. Even offered to pay for damaged bolt. Top notch service from them. Give them a call.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:26 PM

Wow, I have been using Winchester primers for many, many years. I probably have 30,000+ in my cabinets. I have never had a primer failure other than one lot that had a couple (out of 5000) without any priming compound.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 PM

Just my two cents thrown in here...

1)I keep a reload log that assigns a "lot" to each batch of my relaods and includes lot numbers of both primers and powder. That way if something goes bad (I find it or a recall happens) I can identify all the relaods that contains the questionable items. Yea, it takes a few minutes, but I consider it a big safety issue.

2) I always inspect all of my brass closely during and after firing. While I may have that happen to one rifle at the range before I caught it, a close inspection of fired brass would have probably found issues with the cases before the next trip to the range. Brass tells the story your reload. I pick up my brass between rounds at the range and look at it. This usually leads to questions and conversations with others when they see me doing it. Good way to pass on the reloadings lessons-learned.

Hope that is helpful
Old 07-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Man, this is annoying to see. I have a few thousand Winchester LR primers, and they are the gold colored ones (not silver). And they are a spectrum of colors, some dark, some gold - indicating tarnish. That can't be good.

As to your bolt face itself, it's OK, but only. It P's you off having that happen to a part on a historical rifle, but functionally, a few dimples like that are considered OK (http://www.kdeguns.com/ar-manual/M4%...23Pchange8.pdf) This being from the M16 manual, which is designed to shoot crimped factory ammo, it's an acknowledgement that these things do happen... some.

When you have a complete ring all the way around, the manual says it's time to start thinking about a new bolt. It looks like you're having this happen a lot, which has got to be irritating. I didn't know they were doing this, and need to go back and inspect my own bolts more closely, and start paying closer attention to my fired casings. I have a few thousand of these primers myself, and am not not happy to read this.

Last edited by LazyEngineer; 07-02-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM

all the winchester primers I've seen are gold colored. I'd be more interested in the lot numbers
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM

I have a feeling that the problem primers are not made by Winchester but made for them by S&B. Winchester made primers have always been nickel plated. Winchester has been having a lot of different calibers made for them by S&B so I would not be surprised if the primers are also made by them.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 PM

I had the same thing happen to me years ago with Federal
small rifle primers. The cup split at the corner and the hot
gas cut the bolt face of my Rem unlimited gun. I sent a few
of them back to Federal and they replied that they had been
stored in a acid atmosphere and could do nothing about it.
A couple weeks later, I find a carton of 1000 primers on my
porch...Yea, like I was going to use them again...I swapped
them for something at one of the matches.
Denny
Old 07-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna 1 View Post
I have a feeling that the problem primers are not made by Winchester but made for them by S&B. Winchester made primers have always been nickel plated. Winchester has been having a lot of different calibers made for them by S&B so I would not be surprised if the primers are also made by them.
This is not always the case. None of my Winchester labelled primers today are plated. And they were purchased within the last few years. It is true that S&B primers are also brass, however they have a high luster and polish, while the Winchester primers are an inconsistent dull color and basically don't look like they were well cared for by the manufacturer and/or distributor.

My experience with S&B small pistol and small rifle primers has been very good. I have a lot of Large rifle S&B as well, but not had chance to open them. I *WAS* planning on burning up all my Winchester's first, but this thread is giving me pause on that being a good idea.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 PM

Still no word from Winchester. I've checked their website for the status of my complaint and it just says "Submitted." I must say though that I appreciate that they have a means available for you to check status. I was going to call them as a few have suggested, but I could not find a number on their website. I'm not in a big rush and don't want to seem too pushy.

I have ordered a replacement block bushing for my 1885 BPCR High Wall. It was in stock at Numrich and was only 13.50. That was a big relief as it was the most damaged. The other bolts were less damaged and probably still serviceable. The worst result is the loss of value of my rifles. If I replace bolts, I no longer have all matching serial numbers. If I don't replace bolts then the rifles are devalued by the damaged bolt faces. Either way, I'm losing something.

All of the Winchester primers I have right now are the dull brass colored version. My main hope is that they'll provide me with a list of known bad lot numbers and replace my primer stash as needed. I could do as others and simply stop using their primers, but I'm hopeful that they have solved their QC problem and will do the right thing for me.

Tags
defective, primers, winchester