Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 PM

I have had the same problem with the newer gold colored Winchester large rifle primers. This problem badly damaged an M1 garand bolt in my springfield. The problem is with Winchester's newer primers. I changed brass lots, used new unfired brass, changed Winchester primer lots, installed primers in very lite cast bullet loads and primers still produced pin holes that damaged the bolt. This problem has only occurred with large rifle primers for me. I stopped using all Winchester large rifle primers and only purchase other types of Winchester primers when no other brands are available. The old silver colored Winchester large rifle primers work very well but the newer gold colored primers are junk!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM

Just did my remaining Winchester primer inventory. Got quite a few of the primers from the two lots that I have had problems with. I'll switch to shooting surplus ammo until I get restocked. I found a phone number for Winchester in an old post from another forum. I called and left a message not really expecting a live person today.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna 1 View Post
I have a feeling that the problem primers are not made by Winchester but made for them by S&B. Winchester made primers have always been nickel plated. Winchester has been having a lot of different calibers made for them by S&B so I would not be surprised if the primers are also made by them.
Winchester switched from nickel plated primers (rifle, shotgun, pistol) over ten years ago. No idea where they are made.

hth,
dcat
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 PM

My friend and I had the same problem with Winchester primers. Bought .308 match Silver State Armory ammo from Shooters Pro Shop. In the first 11 rounds, 3 primers had pinholes on the edge of the primer. They were brass colored primers. We stopped shooting them at that point.

Nosler (who had bought SSA last year and stated that the primers were Winchester) replaced the 25 boxes with new Nosler headstamped ammo. Now we have a 30% leakage rate (19 of 60 rounds) around the primers with several primers just falling out after firing (no pinholes). Primers are still brass colored. Nosler was saying that our M1A was causing the primers to leak.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:09 AM

Just a data point, here's what one lot of recent Winchester LR primers looks like. Which, actually isn't all that bad.

And here's what they look like in a couple relatively heavy Garand loads:

and

Looks like this lot at least is holding up - well, so much as you can say with a whopping 10 shot sample. But if FWfrench's data is representational at 33% failure - I'd say at least this lot (see lot number) seems to be fairing better. I'll start paying closer attention to this.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 AM

also, for comparison, here's what the S&B primers look like. Frankly, I think they look much better than the Winchester, and not sure where someone is coming from disparaging them.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:52 AM

Default Winchester primers

This 1903A3 bolt erosion is from Winchester magnum primers.
25g IMR4759 155 NOS, 1950fps.

I have 3 damaged bolts from WLR & WRLM primers.

I do not use Winchester primers any more.

Last edited by 8milimeter; 07-05-2015 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 07-05-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
Your loading note seems to indicate Large Pistol primers, is that right? Also, the crimps on your brass are still pretty visible. Do you remove primer pocket crimps from military brass before reloading? I used to ream them but have switched to swaging.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 AM

Thanks, those are LR, not LP. Good typo catch.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
also, for comparison, here's what the S&B primers look like. Frankly, I think they look much better than the Winchester, and not sure where someone is coming from disparaging them.

Do you also defend their brass including the stuff they make for Winchester in 7.62x54 and .303? I also have heard of several others but have not used those. These I have and scrap any I find. The primer pockets are far too shallow and not worth the trouble to cut them. It's been about 10 years now that Winchester has been using the brass colored primers and I still think they are coming from S&B. I never said they were terrible primers, just making an observation.

Tags
defective, primers, winchester