Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM

Default Need a shooter M1, please advise!

Hey guys,

I have a couple collectible Garands, a nice complete CMP M1D and a totally untouched 1943 manufacture bring back that was bought from the estate of a 101st Airborne soldier after he passed away.

I really enjoy shooting the M1 and would like to start shooting some JCG matches. To this purpose, I want to buy an M1 that I won't feel bad taking to the range and shooting.

At first, I was leaning toward a CMP Special because of the new barrels, but I think I'll have a long way to go on technique before I actually have a shot at winning a competition. So now I'm considering buying a Service Grade and maybe replacing the barrel with a new one if I end up really getting into competitions. Do you guys think that's a logical plan?

Is there somewhere I can find a better deal on an M1 than buying a Service Grade from the CMP? Budget is a consideration, since I finished college a year ago and am working my first job. I'm also welcome to any offers on rifles! Feel free to PM me or send me an email at stevenew@bu.edu

Thanks in advance for the input,

Steve
Old 04-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Go for the special.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a couple collectible Garands, a nice complete CMP M1D and a totally untouched 1943 manufacture bring back that was bought from the estate of a 101st Airborne soldier after he passed away.

I really enjoy shooting the M1 and would like to start shooting some JCG matches. To this purpose, I want to buy an M1 that I won't feel bad taking to the range and shooting.

At first, I was leaning toward a CMP Special because of the new barrels, but I think I'll have a long way to go on technique before I actually have a shot at winning a competition. So now I'm considering buying a Service Grade and maybe replacing the barrel with a new one if I end up really getting into competitions. Do you guys think that's a logical plan?

Is there somewhere I can find a better deal on an M1 than buying a Service Grade from the CMP? Budget is a consideration, since I finished college a year ago and am working my first job. I'm also welcome to any offers on rifles! Feel free to PM me or send me an email at stevenew@bu.edu

Thanks in advance for the input,

Steve
I would say go for the special too, but since money is an issue, a service grade will do you well. Unless you find someone hard up for quick cash, you aren't going to beat the CMP price on a service grade. Just watch the for sale section here and you will see folks trying to sell plain old service grade rifles for hundreds of dollars more than the CMP charges.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM

I would try for the service grade some have been coming out with nos usgi barrels new wood and reparked. You could you use the money you save on more ammo.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpuller View Post
I would try for the service grade some have been coming out with nos usgi barrels new wood and reparked. You could you use the money you save on more ammo.
I think I'm leaning toward rolling the dice on a SG based on that. I wouldn't be disappointed with either a full refurb or a saltier piece as long as the barrel isn't terrible.

Good input so far, please keep it coming!

Steve
Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM

I got a 2.9m back in july that came that same way and its a very accurate shooter.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM

"Is there somewhere I can find a better deal on an M1 than buying a Service Grade from the CMP?"

NO.

I have bought 3 service grades in the past few years. Two had original barrels (they were 5 Million series rifles). Both barrels were fantastic shooters. Exactly what you are looking for. The third was a "Special", except that it wasn't... It was a Service grade, but had a WWII era re-parked receiver, a virtually brand new 1950's era barrel and a CMP stock.

Save your money, buy a Service grade and spend the difference between it and the Special on ammo and a good sling.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Roger, wilco!

I was worried the current SG would be the "bottom of the barrel". I'm glad they're keeping their standards up!

Last edited by s11033; 04-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:33 AM

Bottom of the barrel service grades are called field grades You can shoot a gold medal score with almost any service grade as long as you have good mechanical function and stock lockup.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM

Shoot the guns you have. Shoot the 1943 on special occasions, and shoot the M-1d, you can take off the scope and stuff off that one and shoot it just as you would any service grade.

Combat rifles are not meant to be safe queens.

Tags
m1 garand, purchase, shooter