Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Default Ol Days

How many remember going to the old South Store, taking your rifle up to the counter and having Leon tell you about it?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajim View Post
How many remember going to the old South Store, taking your rifle up to the counter and having Leon tell you about it?
Moi.

I went to the South Store for the first time in December 2008. I planned to look around, MAYBE buy a Garand.

I fell into Leon's clutches and left with an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine, an M1903, and an M44US.

Never regretted it. Leon helped me pick out quite a few rifles over the years.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:45 PM

The one time I have been there was with my AMC class. Between the class and a few other customers, they were so busy that they couldn't give me the time of day, much less advise on the rifles. Can't complain though. Walked out with a nice Win-13 M1D.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:14 PM

yep, the experience has changed. Used to go almost every weekend just to chat with Leon, drink coffee, eat donuts, help folks, and occasionally find a nice rifle. Haven't been but once since the relocation. That trip was for a drill rifle for a BM59 project. Folks are still nice but the venue is a little constrained. Sort of liked the roominess of the old place. Lots of memories. Boltless Carbines, Carbine barreled receivers, Navy 308s, bolt guns, rimfire, NOS C-stocks, M14 Kits, Big Red M14 stocks, and more! But, those memories were expensive!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 PM

Yep, I've missed BS'n with Leon at the SS counter ever since he "retired" to run Range #2 at the TMP. Still visit with him 2 or 3 times a year but last week the new range officer told me Leon had been getting stressed (???) and had retired for good. Can't imagine anything stressing Leon, the King Of Laid Back Living. Col B, you are right..... Those memories were expensive, but priceless all the same!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I wasn't there the first week the South Store was open, but I was there the second week it was open. I drove down from North Carolina and went to the store three days in a row, looking through all the rifles. On the third day, Orest saw me for the third time and told if I came back one more day, they would put me to work.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 AM

I recall walking in and greeted by Leon like an old friend. (I only met him twice, but somehow he remembered where i was from!!) he is one of a kind.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBrdX-TqsRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qcwP8Z1_M

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Default Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajim View Post
Yup . those were the best days with Leon/Staff at the old store.
I traveled from Atl to B'Ham several times a month and always found time to stop at CMP South. Either buying or helping someone to buy a rifle.
A few years ago my wife and I toured the Hearst Castle in in S.Calif. Stayed at a motel that was right on the beach. At night they lit up several large fire pits by the ocean. We decided to check it out and talk with the "locals"
Long story short, we met folks from Alabama who lived close to Anniston. Turned out they were friends with Leon and knew him well.
They called him later to let him know of the chance meeting.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM

My first visit was November 19, 2009. If I could lay my hands on a time machine, the old SS would be my first stop.