Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
I like to use 110gr carbine bullets with a smaller charge of faster burning powder for some kinds of practice, such as snap shooting and the like. Doesn't cycle the action so I don't lose the brass in the woods. Also good for the smaller varmints that show up sometimes.

For bench-rest shooting, there might be some gain with segregating more consistent brass. Once you lift the rifle off the bench it's all wasted. I full-length resize for safety sake (got some almost unlocked slam fires when insufficiently sized) and use surplus 147grFMJBT bullets with WW748 at around 7500fps. Few people can do better than 4 inch groups at 100 yards from "field" positions, except from prone and maybe sitting. Many can't even stay on the paper from standing.

Anyway, the average Garand is not a minute of angle rifle. I believe 4 inches at 100 yards was acceptable accuracy for inspected/reworked rifles.
I'd like to try the 7500 fps 147gr someday....not soon. For now, the 110gr spire or hollow point bullets at 2900 fps are proven match winners. Good Shooting. ..
Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 AM

7500?

Tags
m1 garand, reloading for gas rifles