Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM

Google " 1911 disassembly animation" and take it down completely. There is also a complete reassembly animation.

If you only did a field strip I don't see how you can affect the items that would cause your problems. When I finish a detail strip, I cock the pistol without any magazine and drop a wooden pencil down the barrel. Empty chamber of course. I then put the thumb safety on, grip the pistol, pointing up and squeeze the trigger. Nothing should happen of course. I then release the grip safety, take off the thumb safety and squeeze the trigger. Again, nothing should happen. Finally I grip the pistol normally and squeeze the trigger. The pencil should jump out of the barrel.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 PM

I think I will have to do that for the grip safety issue which has now returned.

As for the slide lock on last round issue, I’m inclined to believe it’s a magazine issue.

How ami the first to have an issue! ��

Still thankful to have one though.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM

In my reading, failure to lock back is a magazine issue. I assume you only have one? Know anyone with 1911 mags that will loan you one? Or go to your LGS and buy one, Wilson, Chip McCormack (sp?), Colt or other name brand .
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Oh yeah, just didn’t have the time today.

From the looks of it, the piece of the mag that lifts the slide lock has seen some use. Pretty uneven. Should be able to swing by LGS tomorrow and pick up another.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Also watched a complete tear down of the frame. Doesn’t look too hard. May be a weekend project.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Once you done a complete disassembly once or twice the daunting aspect of it fades away. Now, add in the Colt Series 80 safety with two extra parts and it increases the workload. Set aside an hour for complete detail strip, cleaning and reassembly. And, in my experience 1911s like to be lubed/oiled.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Welp.

Couldn’t wait and stripped it down....

Still doing it ....
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 PM

Default pistol

Why not contact CMP1911 and let them take care of the problem????
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfa View Post
Why not contact CMP1911 and let them take care of the problem????

I know folks are busy getting orders out and did t want to slow the system down.

However CMP1911 has already reached out to get the pistol repaired!

Couldn’t have ask for better customer service.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM

When you detail strip make sure to check the spring that operates the safety and slide stop,be sure it isn't bound up with crud and is free to move. Also check the slide stop and be sure the notch that the spring presses against is clean and not damaged or full of crud. The spring and stop are designed to hold the stop down and only move up when the magazine spring overrides the slide stop spring. If you are right handed also watch where you thumb is when you grip the pistol, you can be pressing up on the stop and the slide will lock during firing. Check the leg on the safety for wear, it should be a close fit on the sear to prevent movement, is worn it will allow enough movement for the sear to disengage from the hammer.

The recommendation to call CMP may be your best bet if nothing seems out of spec.