Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Wouldn't you know it but the very trip I promise myself that I DO NOT want to buy any rifles, there is actually a very nice selection put out.

Before the store opened there were several customers that I knew so we passed the time as Garand collectors do.

When the door was opened we walked in to find that the days' restock included at least 4 Winchester Service Grades, several IHC Service Grades, 4 or 5 SA Service Grades (all with nice GI wood). And all were very nice rifles obviously not from Turkey but maybe some of them were from the Philippine returns but some others look like they might have been from elsewhere..

One customer, known to many of you here, quickly found a Gap Letter IHC. I kept waiting for him to lay it down and turn his back, but he never did So that's another one that I only saw once it was in someone else's hands. I will let him divulge who he is, if he wants to, but it was quite a find in my book.

My buddy Paul found an IHC Service Grade that looked to be correct with the exception of the really nice HRA stock and the Gas Screw. The rest was nice IHC and will make an excellent project for him.

Another customer, also a member here, got a real nice Winchester that had an outstanding WRA Gas Cylinder and was wearing a really nice unused/unfinished National Match stock. It was fully routed for bedding but never was. Overall a really nice rifle with an excellent SA barrel. Should make an interesting and nice shooter for sure.

I looked real hard at a 5.2 mil SA that only needed a 65 series Trigger Group to be very nice and correct. Such a temptation. Someone else purchased it and they got a nice rifle with tons of curb appeal.

I spent a long time looking at another M1C. This one had its original 45 dated barrel and what I believe was original staking. It had an un-numbered GI Base and looked to have been refinished at least once and wearing a really decent HRA stock. If I had seen it a few weeks ago, it would have been mine, but I am happy with the one I got so it is still there for another customer to get.

Like i said, a bad day for me. So much temptation when I was not really expecting any.

Can't wait for my next trip when I will not be nearly so foolish as to place restriction on myself

Better stock than we ever imagined on the way down. I hope they are able to keep it up.

Rob
Unreal, they must have gotten tired of people walking in and not buying anything. That sounds awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 AM

I was at the south store yesterday morning with my buddy Pete and had the pleasure of talking with Rob and Paul before the doors opened. Not expecting to see anything other than FG International Harvesters, I was thrilled to to find a Service grade Springfield with nice USGI wood which I purchased. Pete found a Service grade Winchester with an excellent USGI stock that he got. Both our selections were aided by the help of Rob which was greatly appreciated. We both went home happy campers. It was well worth the trip. Thanks for the help Rob!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 AM

This is strange...weeks of drought followed by a day of random over-correction...lol.
It doesn't seem very random.
Traffic has slowed down lately so get a little hype out there?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
This is strange...weeks of drought followed by a day of random over-correction...lol.
It doesn't seem very random.

Seems to be working, a little chum in the waters never hurts!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 PM

I'll be in the market for a RM1 Service in 3 months. I'm retired and have to save for one. It would be nice to go to Anniston (we live in Chickamauga, GA) so 2 hrs is fine but I hope they have some nice Service ones there to inspect.
Like you guys said, they will fill all the back orders first? Oh well, I don't have the moolah just yet....................Will they take cash at the Anniston Store? Thanks in advance..................

Diesel

Last edited by DieselDevilDog; 02-10-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: question to add
Old 02-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
I'll be in the market for a RM1 Service in 3 months. I'm retired and have to save for one. It would be nice to go to Anniston (we live in Chickamauga, GA) so 2 hrs is fine but I hope they have some nice Service ones there to inspect.
Like you guys said, they will fill all the back orders first? Oh well, I don't have the moolah just yet....................Will they take cash at the Anniston Store? Thanks in advance..................

Diesel
FYI, the must charge 10% sales tax at the store. Thank you Anniston. It adds up quick and limits your buying power!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Bones View Post
FYI, the must charge 10% sales tax at the store. Thank you Anniston. It adds up quick and limits your buying power!
That's true but since he's saving up for one I'm sure he wants to get the best rifle possible. Other than buying a rifle privately picking one out at the store is the only way to guarantee he doesn't get a dog. Well worth the 10% premium (tax) to me or in the case of TMP 7%.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
That's true but since he's saving up for one I'm sure he wants to get the best rifle possible. Other than buying a rifle privately picking one out at the store is the only way to guarantee he doesn't get a dog. Well worth the 10% premium (tax) to me or in the case of TMP 7%.
100% true!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Default South Store Report

Thanks for the info.....I forgot about the 10%. But to actually see and hold one and check it out, it will pay for itself.
Thanks again, you guys are great!...

Diesel
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
Thanks for the info.....I forgot about the 10%. But to actually see and hold one and check it out, it will pay for itself.
Thanks again, you guys are great!...

Diesel
I have always enjoyed crossing my fingers and seeing what gets delivered as there is a little fun and excitement in the surprise, even though I have had surprises that were instantly listed for sale.

With that being said it is nice, and in some cases worth the extra money, to hold something and evaluate it before buying it, after all you never know if you'll find a gap letter IHC in the rack ...

One thing about mail order is you're guarantied to get what you order, versus going to the store you're at the mercy at what is in the racks that day. All in all, there are pro's and con's of doing both, but if you have the chance to go to the store you should go at least one time.