Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Default Field Grade vs Service Grade

I thought I read where a few people are starting to get called with a choice between a Field Grade and Service Grade. Would you have a greater chance of getting a colt frame and slide or a Remington frame and slide with a field grade over a service grade.....or have all these been thru retooling and its a crap shoot either way. So you have just about have a even chance with either grade???...only the service is going to be in better condition. What's the take on this??
My number is coming up soon and just want to be prepared. I'll be happy with whatever I get!!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Crap shoot on same manufacturer frame / slide. As you wrote - service is going to be in better condition. A choice between price and condition value to you.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Default Service or Field grade

I will take the gun that is in better condition. That means the Service Grade. No decision to make.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM

I am unsure, having read what folks have gotten in both types, it seems its a crap shoot My number is within the week unless there is a hold-up and I have been very tempted in asking for a field grade, my thought being that it might be more as a I carried in service, however, I also have carried ones that were fairly freshly parked.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM

There's NO DIFFERENCE between SG & FG in the description...other than the FG "MAY exhibit MINOR RUST"!!!

CMP 1911 pricing:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.
Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.
Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Last edited by DDRode; 03-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I am unsure, having read what folks have gotten in both types, it seems its a crap shoot My number is within the week unless there is a hold-up and I have been very tempted in asking for a field grade, my thought being that it might be more as a I carried in service, however, I also have carried ones that were fairly freshly parked.
Same thing my number should be coming up within the week or next.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 PM

Well, no rust evident on my field grade. Didn’t have a choice, well satisfied.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Default Service grade

The service grades are really good-at least mine was. I had originally asked for a Field Grade but was charged for and delivered a Service Grade. I guess they ran out of FG between the time I received the call and the time my pistol was picked out of the box. Anyway, I am very happy with my SG Ithaca frame and Colt slide pistol.

Foxdoublegunner
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM

I got THE CALL yesterday and was told only Service Grade were available right now.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfowl View Post
I got THE CALL yesterday and was told only Service Grade were available right now.
Just out of curiosity what was your #?

Wondering how long it might be for me......