Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Smile Going to visit in a couple of weeks

I live in Huntsville, Al. I am going to make a trip down to the Anniston place in a couple of weeks to pick up a Garand and maybe a Carbine if one is available. I have a couple of questions. Me and the wife are going to go on a Thursday morning. I know they open at 8am but is it best to arrive much earlier than that? Also, I have my wife on the hunt for my birth certificate, not much luck so far. I have my C&R License, my CCW permit and of-course DL, do I still need the birth certificate?
I am not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to Garands, is there a particular book that may be available for the Amazon Kindle that would be a beneficial read for me? Thanks and looking forward to the trip and purchase!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Being somewhat M1 newbies, and before my son and I made the pilgrimage from Alaska via Huntsville to the South Store, we spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading the most excellent South Store reports by PH68.

Spent a lot of time looking at the photos of M1s posted here in the forum and reading all else M1 in this forum.

Emailed PH68 with what my son was looking for along with a bunch of questions.

On that faithful day we arrived about an hour before the store opened and the line started about half an hour later.

The very best part of the whole adventure was having PH68, and the in store armors, help us pick out some treasures. We learned more from Tom and the CMP staff in an hour than in two months of internet and book research.

With PH68's excellent tutelage we ended up with my son's CMP Special and four other excellent M1s along with a nice bayonet, several slings including a WW2, and some enblocs. (Lesson learned for next time: Lock the CC in the glove box)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:25 PM

I whole heartily agree with hogfamily. I recently made my first trip to the south store and read PH68s reports and this forum ahead of time. On the day I was there, I too was lucky enough to have PH68s help in picking out a beautiful WRA. I also found that everyone there (customers and employees alike) were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I can honestly say I learned a ton about M1s just by listening to their discussions. I must admit I was a bit overwhelmed in stepping into the store so this definitely helped.

To take a shot at answering your questions: I’d recommend getting there at least 30 mins early. Also, please double check the purchase requirements on the CMP sales page, but I think you can use a copy of your DL and Passport, as well as some sort of shooting ID (Concealed Carry Permit works) and then also proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club (Garand Collectors Association is the most common one).

Best of luck - enjoy - I can’t wait to get back there!

Last edited by solthemi; 06-04-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillySteph View Post
I live in Huntsville, Al. I am going to make a trip down to the Anniston place in a couple of weeks to pick up a Garand and maybe a Carbine if one is available. I have a couple of questions. Me and the wife are going to go on a Thursday morning. I know they open at 8am but is it best to arrive much earlier than that? Also, I have my wife on the hunt for my birth certificate, not much luck so far. I have my C&R License, my CCW permit and of-course DL, do I still need the birth certificate?
I am not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to Garands, is there a particular book that may be available for the Amazon Kindle that would be a beneficial read for me? Thanks and looking forward to the trip and purchase!
It's nice to be first in line but once you're in the store and stop at the rifle racks the folks behind you can go around you to look at the rifles you haven't seen yet. Unless you know exactly what you want and about where on the racks that manufacturer/grade is located at it's not a big benefit to be 1st in line versus the 5th. If you're proficient at serial number ID and reading hangtags quickly it can be a help. Because I'm not rushed and practically the only customer in the store I've found several great rifles by getting there in the afternoons. If there's a restock the afternoon pickins can great. I've been the benefactor of an afternoon restock several times.

Everything you need to know about CMP's eligibility requirements is in the below link.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 AM

If you are taking 65 to 20/59 route. The 20/59 area in Birmingham is closed. So finding an alternative route may take more time.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:01 AM

When you finish at the South Store head on over to the Talladega Marksmanship Park for a few hours. The store will even give you a free 2-hour pass if you do buy a rifle. (At least they did the last couple of times I was there.)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
When you finish at the South Store head on over to the Talladega Marksmanship Park for a few hours. The store will even give you a free 2-hour pass if you do buy a rifle. (At least they did the last couple of times I was there.)
Last time I was at south store I was given a 2 hr TMP pass but no way would I shoot a newly purchased Garand without inspecting and greasing it myself beforehand.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Ronwall’s correction to my post is spot on. I should have said bring a favorite rifle, pistol or shotgun along for a trip to the range since you are making the 2+ hour drive from Huntsville. Sorry.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Again, I am not that educated when it comes to Garands. With that said, I have in mind that I would like a Winchester receiver, just from looking over serial number runs. Am I reading it right that Winchester ran until 1945? I know it varies from week to week and from looking at the awesome weekly reports that PH68 takes the time to update it looks like I would have a decent chance to pick up a decent WRA if I show up on a Thursday morning, correct in that assumption?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 PM

No reason not to shoot your M1 when you first get it at the Talladega Range. Just do some research and ask the folks at the South Store to help you set it up.

Because we are from Alaska, and would be taking the rifles with us on our travels, (vs having them shipped home), we were encouraged by the South Store staff to take our M1s to the Talladega Range and put some rounds through them to make sure they functioned correctly. They took the rifles down when we picked them out and showed us the grease and lube points.

Keep in mind that we planned this and had a fair idea what to look for and had grease and oil with us. Cleaning kits too.

No issues at the range at all.

My son used his CMP Special the next two days to earn his Project Appleseed Known Distance Patch. His rifle functioned flawlessly.

Here is a good source to get info on M1s.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx