Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 PM

So, please identify the book under discussion?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM

M1 Carbine Comprehensive guide
R.C. Larson
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM

$50 for 850 pages of fraud and fakes
Of 3000 pages of real research for the benefit and knowledge of collectors not just the pockets of profiteers.
It's about $.06 a page for Larson or about $.09 for the CC newsletters.
$.03 a page is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Or, how about experienced, collectors share their information with other like minded inexperienced collectors new to the carbines, without it costing the newbies anything! That is how it seems to work in other collecting fields, the old hands are glad to educate the newcomers without presenting a "wouldn't you like to know attitude".
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

I guess you're hanging out with the wrong crowd of carbine collectors. I've yet to get an attitude about sharing knowledge by the more experienced collectors here, or on other forums focusing on carbines. I've found the people who learned about these rifles over the years more than willing to share what they know, matter of fact, most are quite eager to share what they know about carbines. At least to me anyway, maybe it's something you project when asking advice?

I'm eternally grateful for the advice of these guys who know what's real and what someone has faked to appear legit. They've saved me a lot of money I'd likely have handed to the parts humpers without even knowing until someone who was in the know looked at one of my carbines.

I'm sorry if I feel a little suspicious about your rave reviews of this book, since the author is local to you and all.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Where do you get the idea the author is local to me? I believe his store is in Minnesota, I'm in Colorado, I don't believe that qualifies as "local". I've never met him, nor do I sell parts for a living. I'm not a "humper" as I think you may be alluding to, I'm just another collector that is trying to learn. If these experts here were so giving with their knowledge, they would show us what the differences were in the real and humped parts, that way we could learn withpout waiting years and handling thousands of parts. More than likely most guys may only have one or two examples of carbines and cannot get the hands on learning of the advanced collector. If Larsons book is not correct, just show us what is correct, and stop "sitting" on the info.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM

I enjoy my collection of carbines, have about worn out War Baby and War Baby II, and find the Larson book quite interesting. What is correct after 65 years? I really don't care, I just shoot and have fun with them and have since my 1963 DCM carbine.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
Where do you get the idea the author is local to me? I believe his store is in Minnesota, I'm in Colorado, I don't believe that qualifies as "local". I've never met him, nor do I sell parts for a living. I'm not a "humper" as I think you may be alluding to, I'm just another collector that is trying to learn. If these experts here were so giving with their knowledge, they would show us what the differences were in the real and humped parts, that way we could learn withpout waiting years and handling thousands of parts. More than likely most guys may only have one or two examples of carbines and cannot get the hands on learning of the advanced collector. If Larsons book is not correct, just show us what is correct, and stop "sitting" on the info.
My mistake, your handle leads one to believe you're from Milwaukee, or at least it did me. Wisconsin & Minnesota are pretty close together last I checked.

I most certainly did not allude that you're a parts humper, maybe you can point out where you see that.

But I can see an excellent reason for those in the know to NOT point out how they tell the difference between real and fake parts. If that were done, the parts humpers would simply change their spots, mark fake parts exactly as real ones are, and they'd screw a few thousand more collectors.

I've yet to see a time that if I questioned whether a part was real or fake that I couldn't post pictures of the part on a number of forums, and quickly get a reply as to the authenticity of it.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM

This reminds me of all the people that were standing around in waist high water a couple of years ago wondering why nobody was helping them. If there was a disaster here in the Northeast, I'm confident that we wouldn't stand around wondering why nobody was helping us.. We would help ourselves.

You have all the facts and evidence fairly close at hand.

USE YOUR MIND & PUT IT ALL TOGETHER ON YOUR OWN.

It's not like building nuclear weapons. It's fairly simple.

P.S. I need to save something for my book.

Last edited by Newscotlander; 12-11-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM

Milwaukeeshaker is an old slang term referring to Harley Davidsons of which I have several. I have used this "handle" since the CB craze days, I am a Colorado native. Sorry, I like the book, none of the books available are totally accurate, the Reisch one probably the best, but the Larson book has a lot of good info. I only touted it because I think it has some real value. Nuff said
Closed Thread