Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Default Is my beloved carbine damaged???

I spotted this area last night, and I don't have a good feeling about it. Is this area damaged? Or is it supposed to look like this? Rifle seems to shoot just fine, but the bolt doesn't seem to operate as smoothly as I think it should.

Please tell me it's OK.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Fear not, pretty standard rough machining. You're ok.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Location: On the Chesapeake Bay near USNA, Annapolis, Maryland, USA

NO PROBLEM Most are like that!!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!! Good news indeed!!! I was afraid my little darling would have to be relegated to wall-hanging duty!

I only have the one, and I love that little rifle. But my wife and my Beagles won't let me hold it in my lap and love on it while I'm sitting in my La-Z-Boy watching The Military Channel and Band of Brothers. I have to wait until they go to bed.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Interesting, learn something new every day.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Wow! I see a major problem!.......................One carbine!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

In looking at your first photo, I am not sure but it looks like you might have a crack in the face of the bolt. Circular cracks around the firing pin hole are not uncommon to a bolt that might be damaged and needing replacement. I would need/like to see more shots of the face of the bolt to make sure and at the least you might want to look at it carefully under a magnifying glass to be sure. I'm not saying you do have a crack but rather the photo gives that appearance. Clean the face of the bolt before checking, I see a buildup of crud around the ejector, etc. If it is indeed cracked, contact customer service for further instructions assuming this is a recent purchase from CMP.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 AM

I am sorry the pictures confuse, if the under side of the rail has damage as I think I see and the lower area that is cut for installation of the bolt this rifle may have tried to eject a bolt. This does not mean that the receiver is defective and when this occurs as long as the receiver is not cracked the rail is in good condition they were put back into service. This is one of the common problems with the M1 carbine along with broken bolt lugs, don't tell anyone or there may be stories all over the Internet like the Universal stories.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 AM

jeeperbob and Emmett - thanks for the tips and concerns! Upon close examination with a bright penlight, I'm happy to report there's no cracks visible to me on either the bolt face or the receiver! Yes, there's a little chewed-up rail surface, and what looks like a couple of small chipped areas, so there's some kind of history there, but the little darlin' shoots fine and everything seems to work good, so I'm not going to worry anymore! Once I get the stock refinishing done and get everything reparked, we should be golden.

How can a rifle this small be so endearing?