Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Preparing for first Garand

Hello all. I'm getting ready to make my first trip to the North Store and my first Garand purchase this Saturday. I don't have any real experience with the Garand, so any helpful hints and things to look at would be appreciated. I would like to know how I can identify a rifle from the WWII era and if there are any at the North Store. I'm not looking for pristine, but a decent shooter of WWII vintage. I think I can afford Field Grade or Service Grade in the SA or HRA. If anyone can let me know if there are rifles that may fit the bill for me at the north store I would appreciate it. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM

There will be no 100% WWII Garands. You may find a Garand with a WWII receiver and a mixture of other parts. HRA rifles are all Post War
Best thing for you to do is walk into the store, go directly to the front desk and tell them what you are looking for.
As long as they arent to busy they will help you pick out a Garand
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks. I realize they are not "100%" WWII. I was referencing the receiver only. I will certainly see if the people at the counter will help me out. Always nice when there are friendly people to assist.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Take a hard look at the Field Grades, you will have a better chance finding a WWII receiver there. You can borrow and muzzle gauge from the employees. Alot of FG's are rough and in need of a rebarrel but if you look through them all you may find a few with a good barrel and decent wood.
Also other shoppers will usually help you if you ask
Have fun
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Take a bit more money with you than you think you will need. Enjoy your visit!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 PM

gotta buy ammo. don't forget the ammo. always need ammo. never have enough ammo. are we clear?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM

All very good suggestions and duly noted, especially the ammo...........
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Bring coffee and pastries for the folks at the counter. Sometimes that can really pay off.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 AM

My advice is to think about what you want before you get there. OK, a WWII receiver. Now think about the TE and MW measurements that you will find acceptable. There are a lot of posts on this forum about that. My experience is that if you are not shooting matches, you do not need very low measurements. There are a lot of factors that affect accuracy. One of my best shooters (but I don't shoot beyond 100 yds much) is a FG Winchester with a MW of about 5. It shoots much better than my service grade with a MW of 2! All I am saying is don't get too hung up on ME and TE, as long as they are not really high. Now think about the condition of the wood. FG rifles may have some beat up wood. That is easy to replace. If you just want a shooter, you can pick up a commercial stock that will lock up nice and tight.

Despite your best planning, you are likely to become overwhelmed when you get to the store, so don't be afraid to ask for help! You might post on the North Store forum and tell everyone when you are going and something that you plan to wear (like a green hat or something) and maybe one of the more knowledgeable folks here may recognize you and help.

Did someone mention not to forget ammo?!? BTW, read up on Garand safe ammo and alternative hardware if you shoot commercial...

Last edited by Garand Plan; 01-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Always bring a low balance cc. You will be surprised how one or two rifles, ammo, and a sling, and a bayonet, and a shooting jacket can easily add up. Have fun!!