Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Is it worth it?

I live about 5 hours away from the North Store. Hoping to buy my first Garand. I don't know nearly as much as most of you do about them. Is it worth going to the store to pick one out or just doing the mail order deal?

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM

The worst case is you learn a lot and don't get anything. The best case is you buy multiple rifles. You should go. One day it will all be over and you will wish you had gone. The question is when to go. Been kind of quiet there lately. You should see a new truck load by first of July about when the pistol matches start.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

I live about 8 hours away, and I have made the trip several times. I have also ordered via mail-order. I have gotten great rifles mail-order but, there is something about one you get to pick. Beyond the fact that you are not buying a "pig in a poke", the whole searching the racks for that special one is very satisfying. And every time you pick the gun up it will have a story of how you found it!!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 PM

Paul, I'm 8 hours away and make the trip at least once a year. I'm going this week even knowing the picking are slim but, now is a rare opportunity that my schedule allows it. Ask the store staff to help you, tell them what you are looking for (good shooter, early parts, original barrel, etc.) and they will point you in the right direction. Last year I picked a few nice FG's and lots of corroded HXP at 1/2 price that cleaned up nicely. #1 make the trip, #2 find an agent here willing to pick for you, #3 mail order.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM

what should I look for? I love the history of them but I want a shooter. I hear the service grades are the best value. Money is tight right now also but I don't wanna miss out on these

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911pauly View Post
what should I look for? I love the history of them but I want a shooter. I hear the service grades are the best value. Money is tight right now also but I don't wanna miss out on these.
Go up there during the second week of the National Matches. Present yourself at the counter and tell the guys what you just wrote - they'll help you select the perfect rifle. But, since you're making the trip anyway, tell them you want two Garands, so you won't regret leaving the second best behind.

You'll smile all the way home!

Good luck,

Tony
Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
Go up there during the second week of the National Matches. Present yourself at the counter and tell the guys what you just wrote - they'll help you select the perfect rifle. But, since you're making the trip anyway, tell them you want two Garands, so you won't regret leaving the second best behind.

You'll smile all the way home!

Good luck,

Tony
Wish I had the money. Not really letting on to the wife about this one
Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 AM

I asked the same question a couple of months ago, got the same answers, and than made the 8-10 hour trip to the store and was there on the Friday before memorial day. That weds. they had just gotten a shipment of rifles in.

IMO it is totally worth it and am at this moment trying to scrape together the funds for another trip during the matches.

I'd wait until they have had another delivery before you make the trip.

If at all possible bring money for two rifles because you will more than likely find more than one you want to take home.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 AM

It's quite an experience, I'd highly recommend making the trip at least once. 5 hours isn't that bad, you could do it in a long day if you pushed it, or spend the night and make it a more relaxed experience. Do a little research beforehand, and you'll be able to spot the really rare or unique items that might be on the racks during your visit.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Make the trip! I wish I could, but Colorado is just too far away.