Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Default ??? about buying a rifle at the CMP north store,,, its my first time.

hello, i will be makin my first trip to the north store soon to buy my first garand and was wanting everyone's input... Any special i should look for like certian serial numbers that are more desirable or barrels with certian dates?? i know i want all usgi wood, i like the patinia and history.. i plan on only purchasing one rifle but have been told bring enough money for two, also is it like my local gun store where if i pick out a rifle i can have 90 days to pay for it or is it an all at once deal?? I know ill probably be overwhelmed with joy and excitement ill want more then one and some additional equipment... its a 9-10hr ride for me so i want to make the best of it and would really like anyones suggestions... thanks again Joe
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM

The guys behind the counter are a huge help! And read the forums.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

You need to do your own research and determine what you want...an SA, HRA, or a WRA rifle....Service Grade or Field Grade. Do you want a shooter or a collector piece...safe queen? CMP dosnt do layaways so bring cash or a credit card. Nice USGI wood is getting harder and harder to find in the stores, so you might have to settle for a rifle with nice metal and good ME and TE but a new stock. Read the store reports and determine when the best time to go since you have a long drive. You can also give the North Store a call and ask what is available at that time...419-635-2141 Ext. 1117...that Ext. should get you to the guys at the counter. Good luck and get ready to be overwhelmed.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks guys. One more question. What kind of paperwork do I need to bring? I have a ccw permit..belong to a range cmp supports. And a legal citizen.. its 12 rifles a year correct? Does that mean I can buy all 12 on my. Visit or is it one per month? Thanks again
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Have you checked the requirements? The CCW will work for the marksmanship participation and the CMP affiliation must be a current membership...join the GCA its well worth it and you can join at the counter when you buy your rifle. You will need proof of U.S. citizenship...birth certifcate or passport..drivers lic. wont work. All these proofs you must have with you at the time of purchase. You are allowed 12 rifles a year and you can buy all 12 if you want at one time. Since you have a long drive besure you have all your ducks in a row before you leave.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Yes, be sure to have everything you need before you go - and it would be good to call the Store or CMP to confirm you have everything you need beforehand too, not just asking here.

The US citizenship proof thing almost bit me in the butt on my first trip to the North Store. I forgot my passport like an idiot. Luckily... I have a Non-Resident State of PA CCW Permit, which states US Citizenship on it, so that worked for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Hmm, IF I'm from a state other than where a store is, can I walk out with the rifle? Or does it still get shipped?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls72bmw View Post
Hmm, IF I'm from a state other than where a store is, can I walk out with the rifle? Or does it still get shipped?
Its your choice. If you have it shipped you wont pay the state tax just the shipping fee and with local taxes pushing 7%..you do the math.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM

1320ydsniper - enjoy your visit. I made my first visit and purchased my first M1 just over a week ago.

I would suggest considering what you want or are willing to accept in a rifle. For instance, do you want a GI stock or is a CMP stock acceptable? Are you OK with say an HRA receiver mated to an SA barrel? You might also think about what grade you are looking for, too, especially if you are on a budget. I could have easily busted my budget if I wasn't careful - I really thought about a correct grade but stayed with a service grade in order to have money left over for several cans of ammo.

Lastly, in addition to the great staff at the North store, they do have copies of reference books (the Duff and Poyer/Riesch books) in a stand that you can use while you're there if you have questions about when a receiver or other part was made. I actually brought my own copies of those books along because I didn't know that little tidbit.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Thanks flieger67, I really would like a pre war Winchester but I think that's outta the question right now so basically either hra or ihc. Springfield's seem plenty so I kinda wanna go a lil off the beaten path. I want a rifle that has some character not to concerned with all matching right now, def a good shooter to.. I was told to look for a var barrel or nm, are they higher quality? And if I was planning on buying one of the 695$ rifles and a barreled receiver how much money should I really bring? Was planning about 1500$ for those two items and all the fees with a lil left over for accessorie. Also how much is the ammo there? I have about 500rds ball ammo already in my pile just waiting to be shot.