Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM

As much as I like my carbines it would not be, and is not, my choice for personal defense. That being said, I'm fine with plain ole "regular" ammo. In the home and on the go I use other weapons for any defensive needs that may arise. I can see a market for higher performance ammo for the carbine or any chambering, but it's still hard to beat a 12 gauge with a backup handgun or two or three for home defense. Now if the Zombies attack, a carbine with a bag full of loaded 30 rd mags on my hip might make for some fun.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 AM

Having been in Korea on some of the same ground as our men fought on, I can speak firsthand as to the effects of the cold. Hard enough to hit a moving target when your heart is going, and you are freezing and tired, then throw in use of bulky gloves, weapons issues due to cold, and it is an issue. Guys liked the M2s for patrol though, as they were light, and you could stuff ones pockets with lots of mags,
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydrider82 View Post
Having been in Korea on some of the same ground as our men fought on, I can speak firsthand as to the effects of the cold. Hard enough to hit a moving target when your heart is going, and you are freezing and tired, then throw in use of bulky gloves, weapons issues due to cold, and it is an issue. Guys liked the M2s for patrol though, as they were light, and you could stuff ones pockets with lots of mags,
Yeah, I've deer hunted enough in the cold to at least get a teeny tiny taste of what that might be like. But add on the fact of people shooting at you. Forget it. Must have been very difficult. I'm sure some people got good used to it and were skilled. I just wouldn't want to have been in their shoes. No way. The winter of 44 in Europe was also one of the worst on record, if my memory serves me correct. Geez.

But then you get a lot more favorable responses of it being used in Jungles. At least it appears that way to some degree.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Default There is a video on the internet

It is an Army film of the execution of German General Doston?? They tie his fat body to a post and have about 10 GIs plug him with carbines. Well, those bullets blow right through him, through the pole and goodbye. He drops like a bad habit. It is at least as effective as anything similar done with Garands. We should ask him?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM

Well, I just bought a baggie full of Rem JSP's from a feller, so I know what I'll be loading up.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

It is an Army film of the execution of German General Doston??

Any idea what time of year this happened?

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 AM

It was winter, IIRC, you could see their breath.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Here is the video of the execution. This video differs from others in that it shows the court proceeding, documents, appeal(s), and complete archival film of the execution.

The rifle used was the M1 Carbine, 12 soldiers comprised the squad.

This is graphic, but not gruesom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQCpUlqCiE
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM

No matter what the argument is for or against the M-1 Carbine cartridge as a defensive round, I would not want to be an unfriendly within 300 yards of an experienced rifleman armed with the M1 Carbine.

Last edited by 7 ring; 11-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM

I keep a Plainfield Carbine under my bed, I'm confident it won't get cold enough in my house to impede its function much.