Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM

From left to right in post #3, the 6th one is USGI, others not.

Last edited by gap; 12-17-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
From left to right in post #3, the 6th one is USGI, others not.

If that is based on the angled bolster, then it would have to have a J or a J stamped on the lower back side to be USGI. If it is unmarked but has "the notch", then it was made by B. Jahn Manufacturing around the same time frame that they fabricated the J-mags for the Vietnam War and most likely on the same machinery. This one and the AYP mag are probably his best mags of the bunch.

The OP also said in his first post that the AYP mag was his only marked one, though sometimes the J is hard to see.

BTW, the earlier USGI split back 30's all had the square bolster...just like the vast majority of the aftermarket/reproductions/fakes, so just based on that one picture, you could argue that they were all USGI. I bet the OP's mag in question has "the notch", which makes it just as functionally fine as the J-mags, but does not make it USGI.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM

It's not based on the bolster or the notch. Bill Ricca gave me a very reliable feature to look for, and only the one I identified has it!

There is a school of thought that unmarked 30 round mags that have all of the features of a USGI magazine are in fact USGI.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
It's not based on the bolster or the notch. Bill Ricca gave me a very reliable feature to look for, and only the one I identified has it!

There is a school of thought that unmarked 30 round mags that have all of the features of a USGI magazine are in fact USGI.

Well, the seams of the J-mags and the before mentioned unmarked notched mags are identical, which makes sense considering they were (likely) made on the same machines by the same workers. The unmarked ones sure might have been military, especially for our Southeast Asian allies of the time. I've never seen any evidence one way or the other. All I know is that they are pretty numerous stateside and often in really nice condition. They are great mags, just like the J's. I've got four or five of them.

Some people think that these specific unmarked Mag's were made in Singapore around the same time-frame for various military use. My money is on domestic fabrication for civilian consumption. I'd like to hear from the OP and get a better description of #6.

In the same vein, I have an unmarked Hardback in my collection. Bill speculated that it could have been made for another military. It was new to him.

It also could simply be a missed-strike or a salesman's sample. One of the great mysteries of life I suppose.

Last edited by dnikkor; 12-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.