X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K31Schmidt
    • Mar 2013

TMP 600 sniper match missing shot

I would like to mention that we (my vintage sniper buddy) had a missing shot during the 300 yard stage of the match. The CMP guys went out of their way, bent over backwards to find that missing shot. We met with Mark and the KTS techs in the conference room to review the cardboard backer. Unfortunately the hole was not there, we were confident that it was a good shot, but they were right and had the carbon copy to prove it. Each shot was circled and numbered. I didn't realize what Mark was willing to go through to find that 10 points until standing in that room looking at that backer.

I was on my scope for every shot, watched every one go in the center of the black....except his first round for score and that was the one missing round. I got on the scope right as the trigger broke and saw the first 1/4 second but didn't see it hit. I felt like crap not being 100% that it went in. The monitor showed no hit. The only reason I called for a re-fire for after the match was that we had no working monitor to our right. We had no way to know if it was a cross fire but the cardboard to the right and left showed no errant rounds.

The CMP was absolutely 100% correct in the decision that they made to not allow our 1 shot re-fire to count. They had went above and beyond to help.

We didn't like it at first, but when faced with physical evidence it's hard to argue. I know it was maybe shooter error or a bad round, but it was not a failure of the target system.

To those future competitors in a vintage sniper match at TMP, have some one on a scope you trust to give a honest/unbiased opinion of what they can see as a hit or a miss to save time and a headache for each round. You don't have to but it will give you some peace of mind. As for me while verifying, from now on I will watch them load properly and be on the scope to further verify.

Thank you to Mark Johnson, Bryan Parris, Don Rutherford, KTS and anyone I didn't acknowledge that helped.

Please don't correct my grammer or puntcuation "English is subjective"
  • 3StrikesNC
    • Oct 2009

Was wondering how you two made out- Thanks for the update. Sorry it worked out that way. FYI, I still am sure a scored missed round from my Swede in the Georgia Games was a good round that hit the black in the paper target. I know it was a good shot...... (evidence indicated it may have vaporized).

After firing in ten matches during the T-600, I too find the KTS target systems to be excellent. I really enjoy shooting at TMP.

It was easy to see the improvements in the KTS systems since the GCA Matches. Most notably was the almost instant display of shots taken, especially in the rapid stages.

The CMP has obviously taken the performance of these extremely serious. It was great to see the Norwegians present along with Bryan and all the effort with cardboard backers. I wish I had had time to attend the target construction seminar up in the clubhouse. Firing matches kept me from doing so.

CMP- as a suggestion- in future "large" matches, please hold more of those KTS "target construction" classes/seminars. You're dealing with a competitor demographic that includes a lot of old, crotchety guys that still don't believe the internet exists, must less electronics that can detect their hopped up hand loads....

Comment

• K31Schmidt
      • Mar 2013

We went from a possible 2nd or 3rd place to 8th. But it is what it is.

Seeing the backer with the holes numbered and circled was impressive.

I also had that one round at Butner that came apart at 600, found small tears in the 6 o'clock black, also from a Swede.

Comment

We wanted to find that shot for the competitor, it just wasn't there... It bothers us when things don't go to plan for our competitors. We want everyone to enjoy the park...

Comment

• K31Schmidt
          • Mar 2013

Thank you Mark

It was a good experience to see the backer with all shots circled and numbered. I would like to see a sample of one of those maybe displayed so others can see what the CMP goes through to find a missing round.

Comment

Working...
          X