Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Default M1D Garands - For-sale

Has anyone been on gun broker recently run a search on M1D? There are 12 M1D's for auction at this time!

Is this typical or do you think they are selling because of the economy or that the M1C's are due soon?

What was interesting to note was the serial numbers of the ones for sale. The newest one was in the 3,828,XXX range making them all WWII vintage. Anyone have A M1D made from a HRE or IHC??

1) 3,821,XXX (SA)
2) 2,289,XXX (SA)
3) 2,426,XXX (WRE)
4) ? no serial number given (SA)
5) 3,251,XXX (SA)
6) 3,828,XXX (SA)
7) 184,XXX (SA)
8) 1,264,XXX (WRE)
9) 2,045,XXX (SA)
10)1,980,XXX (SA)
11) 1,87X,XXX (SA)
12) 1,135,XXX (SA)

13) 3, 157,XXX (mine)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

I think people are selling them because the CMP is selling them, if you catch my drift..... BTW, I have only ever seen WWII-receivered M1D's-but there could well be others. (on second thought, I might have seen an IHC once)
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 AM

I did receive a 6 mil SA M1D from the CMP. I believe that there is some confusion because all rifles with M1D barrrels were not M1D sniper rifles. Unit armorers/DS/GS units, depending on the year, could order replacement barrels and the M1D barrel was sometimes shiped as an alternate. There is no difference when iron sights were used - just perhaps a little more accurate. I remember putting M1D barrels on as replacements on SD NG M1s in the mid '60s because those were what we were sent. I think that if it does not have DCM/CMP "paper" an "M1D" could have been put together by anyone. You can still buy original unused barrels on Gunbroker. Without that govt. "birth certificate" I think the premium should be pretty small for a garand with an original barrel and none for an aftermarket put-together. My $.02.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
I did receive a 6 mil SA M1D from the CMP. I believe that there is some confusion because all rifles with M1D barrrels were not M1D sniper rifles. Unit armorers/DS/GS units, depending on the year, could order replacement barrels and the M1D barrel was sometimes shiped as an alternate. There is no difference when iron sights were used - just perhaps a little more accurate. I remember putting M1D barrels on as replacements on SD NG M1s in the mid '60s because those were what we were sent. I think that if it does not have DCM/CMP "paper" an "M1D" could have been put together by anyone. You can still buy original unused barrels on Gunbroker. Without that govt. "birth certificate" I think the premium should be pretty small for a garand with an original barrel and none for an aftermarket put-together. My $.02.
I really appreciate the insight and your past experience. That is why when I bought mine, I bought it from CMP. I wanted the novelty of having a real one with the government birth certificate.

In regard to M1C rifles, other than the receiver being drilled for the mount with serial number, there would be no other distinguishing parts. Yes? Again you would need the government birth certificate.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Actually it isn't a government birth certificate it's a CMP one. Dont forget the Greeks had a lot of em first and you really cant guarantee what they did to them. You will see on Gunbroker somebody selling M1D barrels from time to time, he is from Greece and sells all M1D acessories as well. He must have gotten them from Greek army as surplus. The Greeks probably put some of those together also hence that would make it a Greek M1d. My point is you have to judge the rifle on its own merit.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM

A "sniper" rifle is pretty much a "sniper" rifle. You could send an appropriate serial number rifle to G&H today and build one that looks just as good and might shoot better than an original. I feel the issue is price. A rifle with "certified" history is certainly worth a real premium. I just think that too many people are creating "original" rifles to market. A rifle with a DCM (yes that was the guvmint) or CMP paper should make anyone more secure in the future when they might want to buy a rifle. I believe that the Danes, Norwegians, South Vietnamese, and the Koreans also created M1D type rifles. All it takes is screwing in a corrrect barrel - since I've seen them at the SS with numbers from 5xx,xxx to the 6 mil i received there is no correct serial # range or way to identify an arsenal produced weapon. In the future things could get interesting. I am very happy with my two CMP models and really enjoy shooting them.

Last edited by americal71; 10-27-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Buy the rifle not the story..... Unless it has DCM or CMP paperwork there is no way to tell if it is 50 yrs old or was cobbled together yesterday in Bubbas workshop.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM

I don't see M1Cs' have anything to do with lots of M1Ds' appearing for sale lately. I see the economy being the primary influence, with lots of M1Ds' in CMPs' inventory being another reason. Add to the mix the strong possibility of Congress changing hands-and being a lot more "gun friendly" for a few years. Look at what's happening with ammo sales-went from a mad rush, to a small trickle-probably for the same reasons IMO.

Charlie
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
On the pther end of the spectrum; my CMP M1D is and early "Gas Trap" receiver. I was certainly surprized!

Thanks, Andy
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM

fwiw, M1Ds were assembled into the Vietnam war timeframe, so there's nothing keeping HRA/IHC receivers from appearing on bona-fide M1Ds.