Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 PM

Default glass bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I've never seen the inside of the book but if it doesn't have step by step illustrated instructions it won't do you much good and someone recently told me it doesn't cover fully unitizing the handguards. I was told it even discouraged including the rear handguard in the unitizing process. To me that's an important omission in the process.
Kuhnhauen's book has good drawings of the areas to bed and step by step instructions. However, I agree with your previous comments about the difficulty of doing this correctly. Years ago I did the routing with a Dremel tool and it worked out ok. But the best method is to use a milling machine or drill press with a milling vise. I would never do this on a nice, original stock.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I've never seen the inside of the book but if it doesn't have step by step illustrated instructions it won't do you much good and someone recently told me it doesn't cover fully unitizing the handguards. I was told it even discouraged including the rear handguard in the unitizing process. To me that's an important omission in the process.
NRA reprint is what I used to guide me for the 3 M1's I have. Step by step original NM bedding and unitizing. NRA articles are easy to understand. Kuhnhausen has good diagrams covering all NM types not so much unitizing. You have to want to smith on a service rifle to appreciate Kuhnhausen's book. As I have. Only regret is I did my first one on a $15 CMP replacement stock that looked NOS and could of been a early NM stock with SA JLG cartouche. I have 2 CMP service grades (97'&98') both hold 8 ring on 100 yd NRA bull with there original WWII dated barrels using this information.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned

-I did the routing with a Dremel tool and it worked out ok.-
Mine didn't.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:57 AM

There were 15 students in the class I attended. 6 of them ruined perfectly good stocks trying to prep them for bedding. Mine was easy since I started with one of the NM stocks CMP used to sell that had almost all the cuts needed with minor modifications.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:40 PM

Hopefully the link works. I made a jig to hold the stock and then used a drill press to do most of the relieving of the wood and used a small wood chisel and an exacto knife to clean it up. The pics don’t really show the recoil lug areas and I dyed the glass for the top of the stock bedding so it doesn’t show up that good either. Overall for my first try Iam satisfied with it but I would do it a little next time Iam just happy I didn’t stick it all together. I spar varnished the inside of the stock/handgaurds and will unitize them next. Gas cylinder and trigger work are done. I started with a new 30.06 criterion barrel and found a nos gas cylinder and a nos 77 series op rod. Hopefully it’ll all come together and make a difference

https://imgur.com/a/AIJYR
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Hopefully the link works. I made a jig to hold the stock and then used a drill press to do most of the relieving of the wood and used a small wood chisel and an exacto knife to clean it up. The pics donít really show the recoil lug areas and I dyed the glass for the top of the stock bedding so it doesnít show up that good either. Overall for my first try Iam satisfied with it but I would do it a little next time Iam just happy I didnít stick it all together. I spar varnished the inside of the stock/handgaurds and will unitize them next. Gas cylinder and trigger work are done. I started with a new 30.06 criterion barrel and found a nos gas cylinder and a nos 77 series op rod. Hopefully itíll all come together and make a difference

https://imgur.com/a/AIJYR

Looks like it came out great.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Banned

Yup. It looked a little bubba(except for the attention to detail) at first. The end result is pretty good. I think I can do this with my drill press and good adjustable vise.
I guess I could take a stock to my machinist buddy and he could do a precision job of it, but he might look down his nose at putting wood on his mill. LOL.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM

now you just need some old herters glass to finish it off.!