Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Hi Guys,

At present, I'm only one part away from one all correct Remington Modified rifle. I just might try to visit the CMP south store for one more rifle.... " IF" it has the correct part I need. Switch the part out & keep the better of the two rifles.
In my present state of mind, I don't think, I'll even look at the parts in my other rifles. They shoot better then me now. Correct parts will not improve that.

I can see & understand the many interesting POINTS OF VIEW in all of your posts.

Thanks for all your reply's,
broom - in the land of the LOST
Old 07-31-2020, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

I personally hate the concept of "correcting" a rifle. This is a debate that will never be settled, but it is almost exclusively a USGI collector thing to do since our weapons did not generally have sn'd parts. I don't see it as adding any collector value over the sum of its parts. Not to mention there are numerous instances of people ruining the originality of their rifles by "correcting" them and then later finding that the parts on their rifles when they got them were, in fact, correct. (Example: milled lower hg bands on some post war springfields)

My ideal rifle is a WWII rifle rebuilt in theater (such as those documented marked on barrels to in-theater rebuild stations). You almost know those saw action and they still look like WWII rifles with lockbar sights, etc. Some day I might have one...until then my M1 I dug up near Bastogne and my post-wwii rebuild M1s will have to do.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
Andyman have a link or info about your “ dug up near Bastogne” Garand?
Sure, see this thread on Gunboards: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...light=St.+Vith

More accurately it was just south of St. Vith. I suspect it belonged to some Americans from the 106th ID who surrendered there in mid-Dec 1944 since the bolt was nowhere to be found and the trigger guard was about 20 feet away from the rifle.

I really miss living in Europe despite the gun laws. I almost had a chance to move back a couple years ago for work, but that didn't end up panning out. When I first went there, eastern europe was loaded with cool finds since metal detecting in the East was mostly illegal. Now, the finds are dwindling. Stuff is still out there though....maybe when I retire in 25 years I can go find that Nazi Gold train in Pomerania...

Last edited by andyman; 07-31-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for keeping this old thread alive!

I think I will just keep the rifles I have, as I found them from at the CMP.

Two of them ( Remington 1903 A3's) preformed very well for my pal & me at the Vintage Springfield match in 2019

Enjoy everyday,
broom
Old 07-31-2020, 08:13 PM

Default great stories

Oh i envy you! I read the stories about stuff from the eastern front where they find whole tanks sunk in a stream and my mouth drools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Sure, see this thread on Gunboards: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...light=St.+Vith

More accurately it was just south of St. Vith. I suspect it belonged to some Americans from the 106th ID who surrendered there in mid-Dec 1944 since the bolt was nowhere to be found and the trigger guard was about 20 feet away from the rifle.

I really miss living in Europe despite the gun laws. I almost had a chance to move back a couple years ago for work, but that didn't end up panning out. When I first went there, eastern europe was loaded with cool finds since metal detecting in the East was mostly illegal. Now, the finds are dwindling. Stuff is still out there though....maybe when I retire in 25 years I can go find that Nazi Gold train in Pomerania...