Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 AM

With any auction item, whoever is the winning bidder submits their packet AFTER auction closes. CMP gives you 30 days to submit packet for auction. So in this case with the 1911s, if any are auctioned (I'm sure there will be some), they are going to sell for way more than the service grade price of a $1k. I think that warrants the winning bidder, who might not have sent in a packet during the standard window, to submit their packet at that time. If you want to guarantee yourself a pistol and not deal with the lottery, then I would plan to dish out some cash for an auction item. Just like any other rare firearm that comes through the CMP channels.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM

I look at the auctions as separate from the mail order items available from the CMP. Most of the time the items on auction are rarer and harder to find, and even when a more common items show up on the auctions tend to bring more money than they really should. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. People are using the auctions as a way to donate to the CMP, and of course you always have people who get into bidding wars.

I myself don't have a problem with the auctions being a separate order packet because I bet you dollars to doughnuts there will be quite a few non-paying bidders. No need for the CMP to go through more paperwork for someone who isn't going to complete the auction process IMHO. People get caught up in the moment in a bidding war, and then don't follow through. We've all seen it happen on the CMP, eBay and Gunbroker.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipershot1944 View Post
Many of us have gone through a lot of trouble to "jump through the hoops" specified by CMP to get a correct package in on time during the very narrow 30-day window specified to be able to purchase one of these pistols using the lottery option.
What is required could hardly be considered "jumping through hoops". Anyone purchasing an auction item will also have to complete all the same information. In what century is a 30 day window for mail delivery "narrow"? Are you sending your package by horseback messenger?

Quote:
To allow the folks using the auction to submit their packages at any time, outside the 30-day window just seems unfair to me. It's like cutting the line for a movie or concert where there are limited seats.
Those auction folks are also going to be paying 2-3 times more than the lottery folks. I guess that's not fair, either. Maybe CMP should just start pricing at $2000 for rackers and skip the auction all together. Then it would be "fair"

Quote:
Also, more importantly, it's a numbers game. CMP has about 8000 pistols now, and might get up to 100,000 over an 8-12 year basis. So you have a fixed number of pistols. With the use of the 30-day window to submit packages, you also then have a fixed number of people who can buy the pistols. If you allow packages to be submitted after the 30 day window for those who buy using the auction option, the number of people who are allowed to buy is no longer fixed, it's increased. At the end of the process, on a 1:1 basis, those allowed to submit their paperwork outside of the 30-day window will knock off one applicant who has waited patiently in line for months or year.
Huh?? It's one pistol per LIFETIME. The number of people that can purchase is absolutely limited to exactly the number of pistols received. items going to auction are going no matter what. They aren't going to be part of the lottery sales, so no one "patiently waiting" has been skipped over at all. If someone that is waiting doesn't want to wait anymore, they can go ahead and purchase their once in a lifetime pistol on auction.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM

The primary purpose of CMP firearm sales is to make money to fund the many other programs they have. They are doing a good job of balancing the funding goal with the effort to fairly distribute the firearms to people who will use them to promote civilian marksmanship.

In my dealings with CMP I have been both lucky and unlucky but have always been satisfied. Life is not fair but the CMP is (IMHO).
Old 09-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post
What is required could hardly be considered "jumping through hoops". Anyone purchasing an auction item will also have to complete all the same information. In what century is a 30 day window for mail delivery "narrow"? Are you sending your package by horseback messenger?

Those auction folks are also going to be paying 2-3 times more than the lottery folks. I guess that's not fair, either. Maybe CMP should just start pricing at $2000 for rackers and skip the auction all together. Then it would be "fair"

Huh?? It's one pistol per LIFETIME. The number of people that can purchase is absolutely limited to exactly the number of pistols received. items going to auction are going no matter what. They aren't going to be part of the lottery sales, so no one "patiently waiting" has been skipped over at all. If someone that is waiting doesn't want to wait anymore, they can go ahead and purchase their once in a lifetime pistol on auction.
And your last statement is exactly about what I understood from Marks's comments. You had to submit the paperwork now to try for either one. An auction pistol or a lottery pistol. As there is a finite number of them to be available in both cases. Now CMP1911Admin says that they can be sent later for the auction ones. That does cut the number of chances that are available to those who sent them in during the 9/4/ to 10/4 opening. Which is why my questions were asked before and many here scoffed at them. Because now instead of say 75,000 who send in their packets now, they also have to battle those who couldn't be bothered to do it until they see what may be auctioned.

Here is Mark's quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
You are correct. All who are interested in owning a 1911 type pistol from CMP should send in paperwork 4 September thru 4 October, 2018.
Key word is from the second sentence and is the first word, "All". And
Quote:
If the customer declines the grade available, their name will be removed from the list and they will be kicked off the island into the abyss with all others who do not receive a 1911A1 from CMP.
So has there been a change in the way things are going to be handled since June?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
very narrow 30-day window

Cannot tell if serious. We've had a few months to get everything in order and a month window to waddle to the mailbox within. Are you serious, dude?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Ok, first: Sniper, I also don't understand the hoop comment as the only difference in 1911 paperwork and rifle paperwork is you have to provide an FFL. Also everyone had 90 + days to complete the paperwork once the order packet was posted. How is it line cutting if they are purchasing an auction pistol? There are 2 lines, 1 for plain 1911 & 1 for auction 1911 so there is no "line cutting" and further while the "plain 1911 line can crossover and purchase an auction 1911, the auction 1911 cannot crossover and purchase a plain 1911 unless they had also submitted a packet for a "plain 1911. I can not see how much fair any of this can be.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Ok, first: Sniper, I also don't understand the hoop comment as the only difference in 1911 paperwork and rifle paperwork is you have to provide an FFL. Also everyone had 90 + days to complete the paperwork once the order packet was posted. How is it line cutting if they are purchasing an auction pistol? There are 2 lines, 1 for plain 1911 & 1 for auction 1911 so there is no "line cutting" and further while the "plain 1911 line can crossover and purchase an auction 1911, the auction 1911 cannot crossover and purchase a plain 1911 unless they had also submitted a packet for a "plain 1911. I can not see how much fair any of this can be.
Guys,
Have been asked once again to intervene as the posts here continue to promulgate disinformation and confusion, despite clear facts all along, i.e. - the 90-day window to send in your packet.

1911admin lays it out quite clearly, and has all along with constant updates...including when things change, which they inevitably do. Subsequent parsing of words to prove a point is anything but helpful.

Folks, there are those in CMP who believe the forum is non-additive and should be dumped. Many of the posts and threads here only reinforce that notion.
Not to mention the numerous PMs being sent to CMP staff that generally fall into one of two categories: This sucks, or....this sucks and let me enlighten you to MY way to fix the suck.

There are those who denounce entitlement, yet turn right around and feel entitled that they can post whatever they want.
Contrary to what some believe, this forum AND the ability to be a member or post is a PRIVILEGE and not any kind of right!! As such, this privilege can and will be revoked.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Closed Thread