Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2018, 05:18 PM

Years ago I was assembling an M14 with SAI receiver and parts kit from Israel. Thought I had the castle nut tight but after a few rounds the zero shifted much lower. There were bullet strikes inside the top of the flash hider. This was before I got a flash hider alignment gauge. The castle nut does need to be tight.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:23 PM

If a castle nut wrench is available, it should be able to tighten to the next spot. Haven't ever run into one that couldn't snug up. Even if it's necessary to move the nut back and forth a couple of times, it should be able to seat snugged.
Even if it needs to be backed off one tooth, there should be no wobble.
RVN 67-68
Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the good inputs. Fortunately I remembered I had another FH purchased years ago and forgotten about. With it the castle nut times perfectly.

I have a USGI nut wrench and could probably crank the first FH a tick more but that is now unnecessary and I am somewhat concerned about damaging the threads on the barrel.

Next time I am out parts shopping I will pick up another nut and see how it times. If not better than what I have I can do the wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and see what happens.

It seems to me that someone once mentioned using a #2 pencil as an alignment checker. Anyone aware of that?

Rich
Old 11-23-2018, 05:31 AM

Pencil will work if you don't have an alignment tool handy. Just look for equal clearance on all sides.
RVN 67-68
Old 11-24-2018, 04:20 PM

Fulton has their B/Rs on sale 20% off. Hmmmm... I may need another one.

Rich