Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixarmz View Post
Interesting question. I too have my nose on the charging handle and that doesn't cause a problem. But now that you mention it--in addition to a bloody lip I also get a nice collection of scratches on the lens of my glasses from the aperture hood.

No I'm gonna have to go suit up, dry fire, and figure out how in the world my nose is unaffected, but lip blow it and lens above it are.
I used to scratch my glasses badly from the aperture hood too. I cut a small piece of rubber hose from my fish tank cleaning pump and placed it over the sight hood. It's clear plastic so you don't even notice it. It acts like a rubber bumper. Problem is I'm limited to about 7 moa in windage before the clear hose contacts the rear sight protectors. But I very rarely need 7 moa of wind. And really I was getting the scratches in sitting.

I think champion choice sells something like this for a few bucks.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:52 PM

As long as the outside of the rifle looks unmolested, I don't see what the problem would be. Provided the plug looked like a forward assist.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
Tom's friend here, one of the AR upper pictured below has a functioning forward assist and the other AR upper has had the forward asset "internal guts" removed and forward assist button reinstalled.

I got the idea over on the National Match Competition forums from a left handed "Distinguished" Service Rifle shooter who also used to receive a bloody lip from the forward assist button.

TW56
Thanks TW! I have removed the innards and look forward trying it. I suspect several subconscious bad habits will go away once I'm no longer anticipating getting punched in the mouth when the shot breaks.