Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Nm and the qual course are totally different. By your logic i drive a car so im a nascar race driver.
Again, faulty logic. I didn't state the courses were the same. I said you don't know how I would shoot at the NMC. And good shooting fundamentals are good shooting fundamentals. That is completely different than the average driver being competitive in NASCAR.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Saw a guy at a local match saturday who cut the part that gets scratched out of his safety glasses. ?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Hey OP, are you wearing corrective lenses or just for eye protection?
I wear contact lenses. The safety glasses are just for, well.. safety. To be honest, over half the time, I don't wear the safety glasses. I think I see and shoot better without them - less screwing around for sure.

Bad things can happen though. Out of 3500 rounds through my 1911, I once on one trip didn't use safety glasses. Once. And sure as crap, it was that outing that a casing decided to come back and hit me square in the eyeball. Couldn't f'ing believe it. No injury or damage (who knows, maybe the contact lens helped). Stuff like that tends to spook you about wearing your eye protection...

Last edited by LazyEngineer; 10-19-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:07 PM

I am on the opposite end. I can't believe how many times I have had brass come back and hit me right on the safety glasses covered eyeball. You won't catch me shooting without something over my eyes unless it is an emergency.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 AM

I would never shoot without safety glasses. I had an out of battery discharge with a carbine several years ago and the glasses saved my eyesight. I wish I had kept the glasses to use as a prop for the block of instruction on safety in courses I teach.

If the rear sight is dinging your safety glasses, I respectfully suggest you back your head away from the rear sight and place something on the stock to index your cheek on for consistent stock weld. I use a rubber band at first, so I can move it forward and backward until I find the sweet spot on the stock. Then I place a small piece of Velcro tape on the stock to mark the best spot to place my cheek.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Make sure that your head position (angle) is consistant on the stock. When I have this happen, it's because I'm turning my eye too far forward into the sight. Also, If you place the stock a little higher in your shoulder, it should prevent you from having to be quite that far up.

Also, I've read reccomendations to turn the hood around and screw it in on the backside of the leaf, so that the hood does not protrude toward your face.

Usually it's the face posision thing that gets me, so it's the side of the sight base that gets my glasses. this ends up a little outside of the area I want to be looking thru to aim, so It doens't ruin the glasses for shooting so much, but it is an annoyance.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
It's annoying as all get-out, the [edit to add: AR15] rear peep sight recoils and nicks my plastic safety glasses right where I'm trying to look. Effectively ruining the safety glasses since that's the spot I'm trying to look through. So half way through a prone string I'll just yank off that pair, sort of defeating the point!

Tips on how people manage this?

Had the same issue.

The rubber tubing/rear hood bumper did not work for me since the lip of the rear hood is the spot that contacts/pits the lens. You make it long enough but it still folds back on impact to reveal the lip, hit and miss.

After seeing a chiropractor a few times and using a foam roller for my upper back, the issue went away. Now, shooting prone is a non-issue.

I also position the buttstock a bit higher so that the cheek weld can apply the downward pressure on the stock for stability. For consistent eye relief and head position, the nose on the charging handle is a must.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM

I like the charging handle in my right nostril, it's repeatable. Haven't noticed a problem with safety glasses, I use these; http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Vapor-II.html
Maybe they're closer to my eye, therefore more distance to the peep? I have a hood with a BJ lens as well. Anyway, these glasses don't fog, the lenses are offset from the frame and the nosepiece is made like a comb for ventilation (I guess).

Regardless, I'm up about as far as I can get.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM

I had a problem with the sight hood scratching my glasses until someone pointed out to me that I ought to be resting the full weight of my head on the stock. With that extra eight pounds holding it down, I haven't had an issue with the sight hood since.