Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Default New Blog Post on Software for C&R Collectors

I wrote a new blog entry about software for C&R license holders that might be of interest to you all. It only covers my software so it is not comprehensive. It includes a picture of me with one of my CMP M1 Garands.

Database Software for Gun Collectors

Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Do you have any plans for the software after Java support ends?

Rick
Old 01-02-2019, 02:36 PM

I've been using NM Collection software for several years and had a bit of problem understanding the date hierarchy, not as familiar as the old dBASE IV I used to use but it seems safe, durable and reliable. Is version 4.0.0 still the current version? My version comes up with 404 error when I check to see if it is current.

Is there a separate product for C&R?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper82 View Post
I've been using NM Collection software for several years and had a bit of problem understanding the date hierarchy, not as familiar as the old dBASE IV I used to use but it seems safe, durable and reliable. Is version 4.0.0 still the current version? My version comes up with 404 error when I check to see if it is current.

Follow the link in the first post. It leads to his website and the latest versions of his software.

Rick
Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Default Is Java Going Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman007 View Post
Do you have any plans for the software after Java support ends?

Rick
Are you talking about support for java browser applets/plugins? If so, that is not an issue because NM Collector does not rely on them.

Are you referring to older versions of the java runtime environment (JRE) that must be present on a computer to run Java applications? That is also not an issue, because there will continue to be support for later versions of the JRE as they are released. Perhaps I am missing something but I see no plans to stop releasing Java JREs in the foreseeable future. If they do a lot of companies will be upset because there are very heavy investments in Java based applications.

You also might be interested to know that as of version 4.0 of NM Collector Software, I packed the required JRE with the application so it is no longer dependent on the operating system for that. This means it will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers even if they do not have Java installed.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

Last edited by nmCollector; 01-02-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper82 View Post

Hi, Sorry I was slow to respond and thanks to Yeoman007 for answering. The current version is 4.0.1 so I will correct that. BTW, I do not get a 404 error for the page that is supposed to come up when you check from within the software. Do you still get that error? It might have been a transitional issue as I migrated all of my web content from my old static web pages to a Content Management System (CMS).

Also, there is not a separate product for C&R - NM Collector carries over the C&R capability that I initially released as NM Gun Collector Software. C&R collectors can use either or both.

Thanks,

Last edited by nmCollector; 01-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
Are you talking about support for java browser applets/plugins? If so, that is not an issue because NM Collector does not rely on them.

Are you referring to older versions of the java runtime environment (JRE) that must be present on a computer to run Java applications? That is also not an issue, because there will continue to be support for later versions of the JRE as they are released. Perhaps I am missing something but I see not plans to stop releasing Java JREs. If they do a lot of companies will be upset because there are very heavy investments in Java based applications.

You also might be interested to know that as of version 4.0 of NM Collector Software, I packed the required JRE with the application so it is no longer dependent on the operating system for that. This means it will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers even if they do not have Java installed.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks!
Yes, it did answer my question. Sorry, but I expressed it badly. I was worried that if my Mac updated to a newer version of Java, it might break your program until you updated the program. However, your last paragraph relieved all my worries. Thank you.

Rick
Old 01-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, it did answer my question. Sorry, but I expressed it badly. I was worried that if my Mac updated to a newer version of Java, it might break your program until you updated the program. However, your last paragraph relieved all my worries. Thank you.

Rick
No problem, your question caused me to come up to speed on the issue.

What version of NM Collector Software are you running on your mac?

Thanks

Last edited by nmCollector; 01-02-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
No problem, your question caused me to come up to speed on the issue.

What version of NM Collector Software are you running on your mac?

Thanks
Clay, I'm not... yet. I was thinking about getting it, but had my previously mentioned reservations. I don't run any software that requires Java, but I've often seen Windows users trying to run a piece of software that required a specific version of Java, only to have the program break when Java updated to a newer version. Having multiple installed versions of Java is both a hassle and a security risk.

However, since you pack the required version with the program, then it doesn't matter which Java version I have, or indeed whether or not I have Java installed. I like your solution as it allows you to update both the program and Java as needed. So I will be downloading and trying your current version just as soon as we finish recovering from our out-of-town holiday guests.

Rick
Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
However, since you pack the required version with the program, then it doesn't matter which Java version I have, or indeed whether or not I have Java installed. I like your solution as it allows you to update both the program and Java as needed. So I will be downloading and trying your current version just as soon as we finish recovering from our out-of-town holiday guests.

Rick
Great, let me know how it goes. Thanks.