Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM

These rule changes won’t solve the high score issue IMO. I have been using a non Floated 7.5 lb A2 and can shoot 10X cleans on the SR with it without too much issue most days. Adding a float tube would just make me not have to adjust my windage for standing.

I believe moving this match to 300 yards and firing on the SR3 would have been a better way to resolve the issue of the match being “too easy” for the rifles allowed. For local club matches you would use the SR42 (200 yards) or SR21 (100 yards) for all stages.

All this is going to do is create a bunch of negative press for CMP because people have spent a lot of $$$ on optics and other parts to build rifles legal to previous rules.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Changes in the MM rules .......restores the iron sight option with free float handguards. Any scoped rifle is now unlimited. Scoped MM rifles have been capable of cleaning the target so not much change here except the full wt NM is easier to shoot. This has been an offhand match for some time. Changing the distance or targets is not compatible with the GSVMM format. The ARs are easy to reconfigure. I will look at my heavy M4 and SR.... At least they made an attempt to clean up the mess. What I find particularly infuriating is the failure of CMP to incorporate the changes Mark Johnson has made (ad hoc) over the last year into the rules. Specifically examples such as his inclusion of M1s into MM and approval of finger groove stocks for 1903 sniper rifles...possibly others I missed. Arggg. Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Hold on!

Rules changed for 2019. You better read the NEW Rule Book!

What you’ve built will put you in the Unlimited Classification. You’ll be competing against 18+ lb. AR Match Service Rifles. Easy, easy to clean the 30 round, 200 yard A Course that is used in the Games. Unlimited Modern Military will be a 10X clean competition.

“Class A” Modern Military is now 7.5 lbs., no optic and can be floated or not. Iron Sights at 200 yards Gents! Welcome to the suck.
Yep, I read the new rules and already voiced my frustration to the rules committee. The rifle I have will not compete with service rifles and I believe will be too heavy to meet the 7.5# max of class A.

Was there any official warning of a big rules change like this? Very frustrating!

Jess
Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM

I don't see a big deal with moving scopes and other non-as issue qualifying rifles as determined by the CMP to the Unlimited MM. That rifle category, imo, has become an equipment based contest anyway.
There's a 2 point higher scoring level for bronze and silver and 4 points for a gold in Unlimited MM, that's not even close to the higher achievement levels for Unlimited Garand compared to as-issue Garand
I stand with the CMP that they're doing their best to accommodate all levels of shooters, from beginner to high masters, all included in the same Games Matches, and getting more shooters to want to come out to the matches.
Our local club GSM matches have about doubled in participation in the last few years, from averaging around 10 guys a match to now around 20 on a regular monthly basis, by sanctioning our matches and things like the Modern Military category and now the addition of the Unlimited MM. Lots of, especially young shooters like the plastic and metal guns with all kinds of gadgets attached to them. So I see good things moving forward.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 01-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap17 View Post
Yep, I read the new rules and already voiced my frustration to the rules committee. The rifle I have will not compete with service rifles and I believe will be too heavy to meet the 7.5# max of class A.

Was there any official warning of a big rules change like this? Very frustrating!

Jess
Nope. No advanced warning that they were even considering this. I just bought a new scope for MM and received it Dec 31st. Guess it goes on the shelf now.

This WILL be easier to police on the firing line, as there were a bunch of cheaters in the past few years in MM. Now, if it has a scope, that score card better be checked “Unlimited” !

Perhaps the CMP will now get serious on enforcing their rules during rifle check-ins. They have been historically lax, partly I suspect because they didn’t want to turn a customer away. Now, put ‘em Unlimited.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 PM

So, MM Class A is irons only, correct? 7.5lb weight limit and can be free floated? So I'm guessing I would be ok with a mid-gas, 16" CHF pencil barrel and a free float that extends past the gas block?

As long as I'm running irons and am under the 7.5lb rule I should be good to go with a free float as i interpret it. Reason being, i have a mid-gas Daniel Defense pencil barrel that shoots great. It is the barrel I would like to use to shoot MM. I also have a 12" free float that I could use to mount a front sight on to. Looks like my MM rifle is getting a makeover then. I wonder if a 20" pencil or standard profile barreled rifle could make the 7.5lb mark with irons?

Last edited by A2Shooter; 01-12-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM

States issue front and rear sights, does that mean A2 frt sight/ gas block assembly?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 PM

With my RRA opterator stock (lighter than A2 stock), A2 upper(lighter than A4 upper with handle/sight) A2 front sight, no float tube, leaves 2.25 pounds for the 20” barrel.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 PM

I'm ready to go Unlimited MM or Class A.

I just converted my old RRA NM A2 to a flat-top using a Hi-Lux XTC1-4x34 for SR matches, and am using the excess RRA NM carry handle upper by putting a 20" A2 Govt-profile FSB barrel on it. I built up a lower with A2 stock, and should easily meet the Class A weight limit., but I'll weigh it when completed.

If I want to go unlimited MMR I have an 8.5 lb. 18" barrel AR with optic on it, but since Service Rifles meet all the Unlimited MMR rules I'll likely just go with it if I don't want to go Class A.

Last edited by Talyn1; 01-13-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Got it, so will need an A2 gas block/front sight. I'm thinking about maybe just going like 3006 mentioned with an A2 upper and move up to a good standard profile 18"/20" barrel. I prefer the longer barrel, gonna have to start moving some parts around. I can always shoot my SR in unlimited I suppose but would like to try it with irons on a light rifle.