Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C Wind View Post
Here's my inexperience showing - wouldn't the AP bullets be seated deeper into the case to a depth resulting in the overall 30-06 allowed length? I don't believe 47gr is a full case load therefore the powder won't be compressed?
Yes the AP bullet will seat almost a 1/10th inch deeper to keep the rounds at 3.340 inches. I've not used IMR 4064 so not sure if powder would be compressed or not. Compressed powder isn't the issue. With more surface area of the AP bullet against the rifling, it will take more energy to push the bullet down the barrel. More energy means more pressure build up behind the bullet--possibly too much pressure. Dropping the load down to 45 grains will still get you around 2500 fps and move you away from the possibly over-pressure load of 47 grains. Just my opinion, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Jerry
Old 01-11-2019, 02:02 PM

My best reload and I've shot a lot of these, is Sierra 168 gr behind 48gr of 4064. It is definitely not a compressed load.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM

oldwxman is right, compressed powder is not the issue. There will be less air space in the cartridge, so peak pressure will be higher. It is never wise to start at max load when changing components. I would reduce the load by two grains. You will never notice the difference downrange. I recently did a pressure analysis for another poster. It was clear that, at max loads, pressures are very sensitive to seating depth. You are effectively increasing seating depth by loading a longer bullet to the same COAL as a shorter bullet.

All brass is annealed (or should be) to the correct hardness or softness at neck, body, and base. Whether or not it looks annealed does not matter.

If you are going to load the stuff and keep it, and never reload again, it really does not matter what brass you use, as long as it is not worn out brass.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies

Last edited by rcolarco; 01-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Plenty of commercial brass is annealed.

Just a suggestion, for 230 rnds I would suggest picking up commercial ammo and be done with it.
ALL brass is annealed.

On military brass you can see the color change on the case. Commercial brass is polished after annealing and the color change is not seen.

No reason, other than cost to use new brass.

As has been mentioned, you should still resize the brass to be sure.

And also agree, it makes no sense to spend the money to buy reloading equipment to load 230 rounds.

Sell the bullets, buy some loaded ammo.

Last edited by Big_Red; 01-14-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts