Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Default 03A3 Sling Questions

From what I have found through some research, the "correct" sling for an 03A3 could be an M1907, an M1923, or an M1 sling. Since my A3's condition is "Fair", what might be called a "Rack Grade," I'm not looking for the prettiest sling available, just one that is appropriate for the rifle.

I've found references for M1 slings in both leather and webbing. The leather slings look like an M1907, so I'm thinking that Google is confusing "Sling, Rifle, M1" with "sling for M1 rifle."

So the big questions are these: what color is correct for the M1 webbing sling?
Is this sling different from the M1 Carbine sling (I have to do some research for my S'G' Carbine's sling too...)?
What is a good source for a "Sling, Rifle, M1", either a good repro or an original?

My experience with original webbing and pouches has been mixed. I've found plenty of items with the cotton webbing in good condition but the parked or blackened brass hardware corroded. Is it practical to clean up the hardware, such as the snaps and eyelets?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM

The sling issued with M'03-A3's was the M1 web sling in olive drab color. While the other slings you mention will fit, they were not issued with M'03-A3's. You should be able to find an original M1 web sling on ebay. And someone else may be able to point you to a source for reproductions.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:27 AM

If you want to shoot your rifle in matches, a new made "1907" style leather sling would be your best choice, but the web slings work fine for any regular shooting.

I have seen a lot of cotton web, Olive Drab (OD) slings available at various places. And no, these are not the same as for the M1 Carbine. The slings used on the 03A3 are the same as for the M1 Garand or the M-14 rifles.

If you want simply a good web sling of that same style, but not cotton, you could get one in nylon (either in OD or Black). The military made them in that material for the M-14 during the Vietnam era.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Great info, gentlemen. Thanks!

I’m not (yet, anyway) planning to shoot competitively, but I want my rifle to have the appropriate accessories for basic shooting, which includes a sling.

Now that I know what I’m looking for, I’ll make sure to get at least one “correct” sling each for my Garand, Carbine and ‘03A3.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM

I agree with John, but If you were a soldier in 1944- M1903A3s were at Normandy- and needed a new sling, if they handed you an M1907 leather sling, you got an M1907 leather sling regardless of what was on the rifle the day it was first issued. Factory original wasn't something they worried about. It depended on what was on hand and how stock was depleted wherever you were. Don't over think this one. An M1907 is appropriate as is an M1 or even an M1923. WWI dated M1907 leather slings are just as "correct" for the rifle unless you are truly trying to replicate "Day One" of the rifle's service life. Pick the one you personally like best.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
. . . . .

If you want simply a good web sling of that same style, but not cotton, you could get one in nylon (either in OD or Black). The military made them in that material for the M-14 during the Vietnam era.
My advice is to forget these nylon web slings.

They constantly slip down my arm when position shooting, and they constantly slip off my shoulder when carrying at “sling arms” position.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM

I would refer you to the "Most Interesting" Option - a beautiful new production (done in an original WWII Canvas Goods factory!) M1923 Sling at a very reasonable price. If you go on Ebay and input "M1923 Sling" you should get a listing for these very nice slings.

The company that owns the WWII factory, Starlite Drums (musical instruments) made up these primarily aimed at Thompson collectors (the M1923 sling was in the original Thompson catalogs as an accessory) and is now continuing to make and sell the M1923.

If you ever use one, you will throw rocks at the M1907 - and especially the cheap "carry strap" M1 sling. Basically an M1923 IS an M1907, but with buckles instead of holes, and infinitely (and exactly) adjustable. And unlike leather, it does not stretch or rot with any kind of reasonable care. The M1 is a Lousy shooting sling - you have to take it off the rifle and reverse it for any real shooting.

The M1923 Sling had an unwarranted bad reputation - because the original diagrams/instructions printed in the WWII M1 and M1903 manuals were WRONG - and thus the troops could not figure them out. And besides, Leather was just certain to be "Better", everyone knew that. So the Brits, Aussies and NZ forces got most of them.
However, it should be noted that the M1923 remained in the supply system up into the Korean War period - I have an OD green one that is MRT treated in 1951.

The repro is as good or better than an original - and is only $69 - not $150-300 like a nice original. Give it a look - it will make everyone do a double take on the range and say "what is that ?" too! CC
Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 AM

Thanks! I’ll check it out.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM

Re: M-1923 sling. It is a very fine sling. Cannot say it is better than a M-1907. Will say that when shooting in hot Summer time conditions when I'm normally just wearing a T-shirt, the M-1923 is my preference. It stays in position as does the M-1907. However, when you are soaking wet with sweat, the sling gets soaked where it goes around your arm. That does a leather sling no good at all. A canvas sling needs only to be washed and dried and everything is nice and clean. No odor, stains, etc.

Got a M-1923 sling on a SA 03 back about 1985. Even without any sort of printed information figuring out how to use the sling was just not a big deal. Nice to see that the M-1923 is being reproduced. At present I have M-1907 slings on my rifles. Must say if that were not the case, I would certainly be looking at the new M-1923 sling. Will almost certainly buy one for use when hunting. I use either a 03-A4 replica or a SA M-1 w/ a scout mounted scope for deer hunting. I figure that M-1923 will be easier to use for walking in the woods/fields. If things get wet, it will be easier to dry. And, if I need a way to drag a deer (as has happened before), I can wrap the sling around the antlers and use it. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
My advice is to forget these nylon web slings.

They constantly slip down my arm when position shooting, and they constantly slip off my shoulder when carrying at “sling arms” position.
There are 2 kinds of USGI nylon M1 slings.
One is a very soft, flexible nylon, the same material as the 60s-70s M16 silent sling except in green.
The other, also green, is a slick, stiff material often referred to as the seat belt sling, similar material to your car's seat belt (but thicker, and of course 1.25").

Both have their champions; I prefer shooting with one over the cotton sling, some like the slick seat belt and others the flexible one.

Some people don't care for the 1907 or 1923.
At least we have choices for appearance, authenticity as well as shooting performance.
I put a Kerr (repro) on my 1917; it's got some unique features as well.
Allegedly useful as a shooting sling; I put an M1 on it when shooting matches.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread