Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Interesting (bad) trigger mod

I picked up a sporterized Smith-Corona 1903-A3 for a deal. The seller "neglected" to mention that the trigger wasn't working properly. Not that it would have mattered to me as I was planning on restoring it to original config.

Some "Rocket Scientist" decided he didn't like the 2-stage trigger and performed 2 modifications - one was a screw to apparently restrict travel and remove the first stage, and the other was to grind down the bolt engagement surface to try to reduce trigger pull. He ground it so much that it would only occasionally engage the bolt.

I thought someone would find these modifications interesting.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:32 AM

I have heard of this mod, supposed to remove the first stage shorten the long second stage pull. This was done when sporterizing and if done properly would produce a trigger pull not unlike a single stage commercial trigger. When a lot of Mausers and Springfields were first being sported replacement commercial triggers were not readily available or more $$ than having a qualified gunsmith do trigger work. If not done right they can be dangerous but since it is only done to the triggers is easy to fix.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Yeah - it took about 30 seconds and a pull from my parts bin to fix.

This one was definitely not done properly.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM

I have a trigger that’s been modded with a screw that can adjust travel. It’s s clever modification but like all things it can be made unsafe if taken too far. As far as shortening the travel by removing metal goes, well what’s the old story about cutting a dog’s tail long?! Taking off too much is a big oops.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Honing the sear face was done to reduce the friction of sear to bolt, not to lighten the pull. It would lessen trigger "creep" and make it more crisp. The set screw was meant to take out the first stage of the two stage "normal" issue trigger. I have also seen this done with shims.

Personally, I prefer the two stage trigger, but I do have a nice sporterized 03A3 with a Timney adjustable single stage trigger for target work.