Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM

I thought it was real just wanted experts to chime in!!!! I don’t know why someone would sporterize an a4 to begin with. Eric if your interested in barrel and stock pm me lol. I won’t keep it I just am not a big fan of sporterized guns. I only bought this one to bring it back to life!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer9275 View Post
I thought it was real just wanted experts to chime in!!!! I don’t know why someone would sporterize an a4 to begin with. Eric if your interested in barrel and stock pm me lol. I won’t keep it I just am not a big fan of sporterized guns. I only bought this one to bring it back to life!!!
I have to wonder if it wasn't sporterized in the '50s when folks didn't realize the future value of an A4, or any MILSURP for that matter. No telling how many of these rifles are still in someone's barn / closet in the same or worse shape. A friend of mine pulled out a 1917 sporter the other day out of his closet, purchased by he and his dad in the '70s for less than $25, and sporterized. They ground the rear sight down, drilled and tapped for a scope, and cut down the USGI stock. He was tickled to still have it and still hunted deer with it.

But I appreciate the offer for the stock / barrel! I've already accumulated too many sporter stocks lately, would rather see the project passed on to someone else! (I'm working on a A4 Clone tonight, fitting a Numrich scant stock) Once this rain stops I need to wrap up these projects and hit the range!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyduece View Post
Probably a dumb question but if it's an A4 why would they stamp it A3 I am familiar with the relocation of the markings but just curious. Very nice looking sporter by the way.
The original plan was that any completed sniper rifles that did not meet the accuracy specifications for an M1903A4 would be converted back to an M1903A3.

In the 1950's~ some of the A4's that went through government rebuild had the trailing "3" struck out and a "4" stamped over it. By that time the M1903A3 was officially obsolete so it no longer made any sense to issue them with obsolete nomenclature.

PS while most of your rifle should be parkerized. The bolt, swivels, bands, buttplate and magazine box assembly (TG) should receive a blue (black oxide) finish. I also think your bolt is legit

Last edited by JDGaynor; 02-23-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Looks like an A4 bolt to me. That is the hardest part to replace, IMHO. I picked up a sporterized A4 almost identical to yours in 2015. Mine was in a Fajen stock, and thankfully still had the original base. It took me almost a year to get all the parts to restore mine, and I had the CMP Custom Shop replaced the barrel (NOS I supplied) and reparkerize / blue the proper parts. Mine is a 3.411M (first block) A4.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Wish I had funds and time to do correct restoration. It’s going to be more of an a4gery I suppose. I did find a redfield base and the verticals split rings. But it’s going in a minelli stock and wil sport a weaver.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM

If I wanted to pass it on to someone who would do it right what would I be looking at price wise for the receiver and the bolt?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Maybe $800?? $900??? Bolt is worth probably $400 by itself.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:28 AM

I ageee completely!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:30 PM

It was not considered a shame to molest an A4 back when they were available from the DCM for less than $25 and were available in gun shops for little more than that. I bought an A4 through the DCM in 1971 with the full intention of making a sporter from it. Since it came with scope base mounted on it making a sporter would involve less expense. I just procrastinated and did nothing with it. 2 or 3 years later I sold it to a collector friend for $60.00. About 25 or 30 years later the friend offered to sell it back to me for $300.00. The rifle was not one of the pristine one but was complete and authentic. I told him the rifle was worth at least triple what he was asking for it. He said he knew what it was worth but wanted me to have it. I bought it and later another friend sold me an M73B1 scope and correct rings for it. It will be available in the estate sale when I pass on. If I had taken all the money I spent on guns an invested it in WalMart stock I would be able to sell it and buy a lot of guns. Hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited by Herschel; 02-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.