Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Default 03 rebarrel/rear sight collar

I'm saving up and scrounging parts to have an 03 rebarreled. The custom shop charges extra to rebarrle a 1903 as opposed to an 03A3. I have a rear sight collar with lightening cuts that I want to use for the replacement, but don't know if there are shims or keys that are also needed. Do I need such and where would I find it?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Are you having it all done at the custom shop? Many of us have mounted the rear sight collar (and even the barrel using the correct barrel/receiver wrenches). Not much to it. There is a "key" but I have used a cut off wire nail with no problem. Surely the custom shop will mount the barrel AND the rear sight collar if you are leary. Call them.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

As you probably know, having removed the rear sight collar from its original barrel, the rear sight is held in place by a hole (parallel to the bore) having been drilled between the collar and the barrel base and then a pin being inserted to keep the collar from turning. This has to be done prior to attaching the barrel to the receiver.

These holes and pins were not always in exactly the same place and the locations differ from rifle to rifle. This can be seen when comparing a number of sight collars.

Back in the 1960's when "sporterizing" military rifles was the thing to do, the rear sight collars were removed from 1903 barrels and then the "groove" left where the pin had secured the collar had to be filled in and ground down to match the barrel. Sort of the opposite problem of what you have here.

The "key" you refer to is simply a cylindrical pin and as stated above, a nail of the correct size can be used. Such pins were never in any parts inventory or listing because when barrels were produced for the government, they came with the rear sight collar and pin - and the front sight base - already attached.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 09-19-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Don't count on that parallel pin lining up with a "bastard" sight collar as I suspect the pin holes were all drilled after the collars had been pressed into place. And I suspect that's how the custom shop does it today.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Don't count on that parallel pin lining up with a "bastard" sight collar as I suspect the pin holes were all drilled after the collars had been pressed into place. And I suspect that's how the custom shop does it today.
True. None of the sight collars I have seen had pins/holes in the same exact location.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Thank all of you, you all answered my question. I was thinking there might be a key that ran longitudinally along the barrel to ensure the rear sight indexed the same as the barrel. No wonder the custom shop charges extra for rebarreling '03s as opposed to 03A3s.

Last edited by Dingsbums; 09-22-2018 at 03:52 AM.