Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Default Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle...updated w/range report

Several years back I got a great deal on a Swedish M96. It is not a total mixmaster...bolt and bolt components, receiver, and buttplate match. Floorplate, barrel bands and bolt release do not. Bore is great.

My cheap camera can't quite capture the bore's shine.

I never really shot it much, but here is 5 rounds of the PPU 120gr "target ammo" @ 100 yards shot with iron sights right after I got it.

A few months ago I decided to convert one of my M96's into a Swedish sniper rifle for use in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches. This one got the nod. I bought an Accumount repro scope mount and sent it to a trusted gunsmith. He is fairly busy and it took some months for him to complete the job. In the mean time I got a smoking deal on a real Swedish M41B sniper rifle, but that is a different story.

After he completed the job, he sent me several pictures of the rifle and I must admit, it came out looking good.

I'll post more pics and a range report when I can.

Last edited by Calfed; 09-25-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 PM

I would personally wrestle with D&T a swede even if a slight mismatch...and looked for one already drilled...

HOWEVER...yours turned out great and looks really good...me likey
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 09-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
I would personally wrestle with D&T a swede even if a slight mismatch...and looked for one already drilled...

HOWEVER...yours turned out great and looks really good...me likey

Thanks, Jeremy.

I struggled with whether or not to modify an otherwise as issued rifle. It came down to the substantial cost of the mount and gunsmithing to install it. I got the rifle for a little under $200 and that was substantially less than the cost of modifying it. I could not justify those expenses on anything less than an excellent rifle.

Looking forward to shooting this and posting a range report.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:07 PM

Better to use the faux-sniper for the matches, and save the M41b for things like pride, caressing, ogling, drooling, gawking, etc.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
Better to use the faux-sniper for the matches, and save the M41b for things like pride, caressing, ogling, drooling, gawking, etc.

Roger that!

I'll post a thread on the actual M41B
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 PM

I got a chance to shoot the CMP vintage sniper match "faux" Swedish sniper and it shoots like a house on fire!

I shot a three shot group at 25 yards to make sure it was on paper. I used Prvi Partizan 120 gr "match" ammo. (only had 6 rounds)

Since the rifle was on paper, I switched to a target at 100 yards. I fired the remainder of my 120 gr PPU match rounds and got the blue circled group.

I then adjusted the scope and here is where things went a little janky. My son fired three rounds of PPU 139 gr SP and got the red circle group (!). My son is a great shot, as you will see later, and I'm sure that the scatter group was a result of adjusting the scope. I then fired three rounds of the PPU 139 gr's and got the yellow circle group. It appears that it took a couple of rounds to settle the scope down after adjustment (?).

My son then used some 108 gr Lapua ammo that I have and got this group @ 100 yards...about 1/2 MOA

I then shot this 5 round group with some handloads that I had loaded for my Ljungman (again, at 100 yards).

Except for the burble after adjusting the scope, the Swede is shooting outstandingly.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Ya gotta love the 6.5. Nice rifle.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks, '99.

Any ideas on the scope issue. A buddy suggested making a correction larger than desired and then dialing back to the desired amount. I'd never heard of that technique.