Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Default M1903 Special match?

Picked up this M1903 about a year and a half ago at a local gun shop. It was an estate gun. Was being sold as a "sporterized" Springfield for under $600. Bought it on impulse, as it was in great shape and had obviously been well cared for by the previous owner.

I'm no '03 expert, but wondering if this might be a DCM Special Target model.

https://imgur.com/a/ShIdpIG
Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM

You have a splendid rifle. Your rifle is not listed in SRS. So it was not sold by the DCM.

To qualify as a Special Target rifle, it must have a star-gauged barrel. I see no star gauge marking on the muzzle crown.

Remove the handguard and see if a small number is stamped in the barrel about an inch in front of the rear sight. If so, tell us what it is and post a picture of it.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM

JB -- see attached photo. No number that I can discern, there is a "J" looking mark, but it could just be a handling or assembly ding...

https://imgur.com/a/SnDwP1I

Thanks for your fast response! And for looking it up in the SRS. I checked the Brophy, Crossman and Harrison books -- and just became more confused.

I didn't see any marks other than a light "50" on the left side of the stock, and some unreadable marks in the cut-off cut out. The barrel is dated "5-21."

The rifle is a good shooter. The previous owner(s) took good care of it. Including a light coating of grease on it when I bought it. The recoil pad is an obvious addition, but was very well done. Someone really liked this rifle.

The gun shop labeled it "sporterized" because of the Lyman sights and recoil pad.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
, and some unreadable marks in the cut-off cut out.
Looks like a K in the cut-off, which i believe means the stock was made by Keystone
Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 PM

I see no star gauge number in your photo. The rifle, therefore, is not a Special Target rifle, but a regular service rifle. Nevertheless, the rifle appears in splendid condition.

The stock is indeed a Keystone stock made during the latter part of WWII.

Thanks again for sharing!

J.B.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 AM

So I have a late 1921 or early 1922 barreled receiver in a replacement WWII-vintage stock.

Is there any way to tell if the Lyman rear and front sight are later additions? Or might be original to the barreled receiver? The Springfield Armory apparently did install Lyman sights on some rifles during the inter-war period.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
So I have a late 1921 or early 1922 barreled receiver in a replacement WWII-vintage stock.

Is there any way to tell if the Lyman rear and front sight are later additions? Or might be original to the barreled receiver? The Springfield Armory apparently did install Lyman sights on some rifles during the inter-war period.

The sights were probably added by the previous target-shooter owner who installed the Type C stock and added the recoil pad. Springfield Armory did indeed install Lyman 48 sights on rifles, but those rifles would have been star-gauged.

J.B.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM

The Lyman 48 is a post WWII version. Look at the windage scale and the "hunter" knobs.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:09 PM

I also believe that is a Keystone stock,
Old 09-24-2018, 02:20 PM

The easiest way I determined to tell if a stock is a Special Match stock is that everything behind the barrel band looks like a NRA Sporter and everything in front of it looks like a standard 03 stock. Or in other words it looks like a full stock NRA Sporter stock with a handguard.