Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM

Default WOA vs RRA float tubes

Hi all.
I own a 20" Stag arms upper with a relative low round count of mostly easy going hand loads. (55 grain Nosler Varmageddon over 25 grains of Varget). It shoots pretty well so I would like to put a floating handguard on it for reduced course shooting (irons).

I am having a hard time selecting between the white oak armament ($145 from woa) or the Rock River Arms ($125.99 at Brownells).

I don't mean to come off as cheap, but what's the difference between the two brands?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 06:57 AM

Check out the difference between a "float tube" (generally used under the standard issue hardguards) and the free float handguards. The free float hardguard is simple and inexpensive by comparison. It is "today" and I suspect more nearly what you want. The older float tubes are less effective and were designed to maintain the external dimensions of the service rifle while isolating the barrel from sling tension effects....something the free float hardguard does very well. Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 AM

I don't know the difference between the two, but I've always chosen to spring for the WOA. I consider is "shopping local." John Hollinger that owns WOA is a very active competitor and supporter of the high power community. I like to support his small business over the faceless manufacturer that is RRA.

Just my opinion. Might not be worth much.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 PM

White Oak, John is great.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 PM

RRA is fine. Looks like WOA has the swivel in the same spot. Dunno if John uses a thicker gauge or has better welds.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-29-2019, 07:23 PM

I have both the white oak and rock river. The black plastic hand guards on the rock river were made of a softer more pliable plastic- I could squish them if I gripped them hard. The ones white oak sells are very ridgid. I replaced the rock river with A2 type colt plastic off eBay. I use both with no problems. You might look at compass lake. Hope this helps
Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Compass Lake sells a very good competition set.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Thank you very much everyone!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 PM

In case anyone else is interested, WOA responded to my question as well. I can say I am already a fan by the service already before I have purchased anything yet.

They are similar, we have rebarreled many uppers with Rock River tubes. We do not criticize other products, but rather point out what sets our apart. Ours is a steel tube with a welded cap, we have a longer barrel nut and a longer threaded area on the tube for more thread engagement and more solid lock-up.

Thank you for your interest in White Oak Armament and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Jane Grogg

White Oak Armament

309-376-2288

www.whiteoakarmament.com
Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

I bought a service rifle upper from WOA this winter. I haven't taken the free float tube apart and cant compare it to the others mentioned by I can say it is rock solid.