Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Default Plum colored Leupold scope

I while back I asked the question as to why I couple of my Parker Hale receivers had turned a nice dark Plum color.

In the replies was a reference to viewers having Leupold scopes that did the same thing. Mention was made that it was a bluing defect which Leupold would honor as a defect in manufacture.

I called Leupold and asked them about it and they said the scope would be replaced with a Matte finished scope of equal specifications since gloss was no longer made. Since was an older scope with no mechanical problems I accepted.

Now that's standing behind your product and warranty.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Apparently the sun reacts with the anodizing on older Leupold scopes. I have seen many that have turned purple but are still black under the rings. Much more common in the pickup gun rack days.
Glad to know the factory will stand behind them.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Ruger revolvers, the old models that had alum. grip frames turned a plum color also. There is a small group of followers that collect very clean examples of the plum colored grip frame guns.
When I first bought a leupold there was a moisture issue and I called Leupold. I shipped the scope to them and they fixed it. I have bought nothing but leupolds since.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM

The replacement they are sending me will be a VX 2 2X7X33 matte finished scope. The old one was a gloss finish scope.

Shipping time is from Beaverton, OR is going to be 8 days. Total time for the replacement to arrive will be, as projected by Leupold, a cool 18 days.

Eager to see if I need to get a set of higher rings for my Anschutz Woodchucker since, I think, the old scope objective was 27mm. I think it was anyway.

Either way you buy quality in a manufacturer. Leupold is one you can trust.