Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Service Grade Remington Rand Frame + Slide

I wanted to add pictures of what I received as everyone who has done it before made it easier to select a grade and I really appreciated it!

I took pictures on varying background colors as it helps give a better idea of what the color actually looks like.

Full gallery for those who want to see more

I received a beautiful service grade Remington Rand frame and slide. It is in excellent condition and was lubricated where the frame meets the slide and on the slide lock. There was some moisture under the grips as well, I have yet to clean and oil it up - but it is in amazing shape. Thanks CMP!

Last edited by Delta_26; 07-04-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Remove broken images from the previous edit.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:12 PM

I took photos of my 1943 Service grade Ithaca in different lighting at different times to show just how it can vary hugely.

I’d say the top left is closest to the real hues I see in real life.

Someone here said to use grease on the parkerizing to darken it. I think it works.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-08-2019 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Reduce pic size
Old 07-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Default Service Grade received.... but what do I have?

I could use some help on my "new" Service Grade 1911 A1 that I got yesterday and am trying to find out what I actually have. As you can see from the pictures, it has been re-parkerized and has new grips. I'm new to the Gov. 1911 A1's and need some help, please.

Here are the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/hiJzmtX

Hang tag says the frame is an Ithaca, and the slide is a Remington. But, the Production number web site I visited, says that Colt duplicated this serial # range.... so how do I tell if it's a Colt or an Ithaca frame? As you can see from the pictures, it has a FJA and a P stamped on the left side of the frame with a crossed cannon on the RH side. What do those initials represent? Rebuild stamped? or ???

So for registration purposes, here in the state of Michigan, it has to be registered as a Colt or Ithaca, right?

Barrel is marked Colt 45 AUTO and there is the letter C stamped on the left leg, at the rear of the barrel. .... is the barrel a Colt? or ??

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...... Barry

Last edited by Bear57; 07-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Default CMP family photo

Here’s my 1943 Ithaca with the other CMP guns I’ve received over the past 22 years.
The M1 carbine is a Greek lend lease, and I’ve replaced the original stock with a new CMP stock. The original is safely stored.

The first one I got, a service Grade HRA from 1955 was only $310 or so in the 90s.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-08-2019 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Reduce pic size
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Pick up my piece of Americana a few days ago at my FFL. It's a "service grade" CMP M1911 serial # 455054 circa / Colt: S/N 450,000 to 629,500 = Oct. 24, 1918 to April 10, 1919. This weapon was in a group of 20,000 pistols shipped to the Ordinance Officer, Bush Terminal, Brooklyn, NY (American Expeditionary Force) on 10/03/1918. My "random generated # 7065. I went to the range today and put 70 rounds thru it without even a single hiccup. Life is good!

https://imgur.com/Wv9qDL1
https://imgur.com/NdDuMrD

Last edited by AS11/BM3; 07-08-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Old 07-12-2019, 12:12 AM

I hit the lottery... RNG 6381
Ithica Field grade . Originally I asked for service. Field and rack was offered
Enlighten a newbie 1911 guy. Park is missing a in a few spots. Prefect in my eyes. Cant wait to shoot it. I wonder where it has been and who carried it. I wonder if it was fired in anger. It is truly a piece of history. Thanks CMP!!!

Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 AM

Default Remington Rand

1943 RR Slide RR Frame Colt barrel. Right side of slide stamped MP

https://imgur.com/a/Bia8NE0

Last edited by tampa500; 07-14-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Fied Grade Feb 1945 Remngton Rand

Received my CMP M1911A1 on Fri. Field grade, though I would have called this one Service. Parts breakdown, Rem Rand: Slide, Frame, Mainspring housing, Recoil spring plug, Trigger(?), magazine (original finish General Shaver, score!) Colt: Barrel, Slide stop safety (?).

Refinished, no arsenal markings, looks like one that was done at the General Support ( 4th echelon) maintenance level. Looks like ones we got back from the GS units in Hanau while I was in the 3DAD in the late 70;s when they would generally keep all the parts together when refinishing. The slide markings are not crisp but the slide doesn't look like it was a heavy handed sand blast so maybe they were a little light to begin with. Its a type 2 slide that actually is a little early for this SN but not complaining. Wish I still had my weapons cards to check if I possible was issued this one. None of the ones I was issued in my career (last time issued one 85-'87 in 1st ID (FWD) in Germany.

Added a picture of the Feb '45 w/ my Nov'44

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Service grade Ithaca with a RR slide

So I have been having some picture posting issues but lets try this again. This is a service grade I got a few weeks ago. It is a really nice service grade Ithaca frame and a Remington Rand slide rebuilt at SA and it appears never used after the rebuild. It was completely dry and had a lighter gray finish until I oiled it. It just looked thirsty and the finish is now much darker. The blothyness is from me not wiping it down before the pics.

So it appears to be FJA inspected a Ithaca geometric mark on the guard a RR slide type 3 (i think???) and Korean war era Keyes grips.

So for those still waiting I had given up. I never received a number from CMP so I assumed my packet info had been wrong and discarded. Then I get a message from CMP asking me to update my FFL and I asked what for and the nice lady said for your M1911 of course!!! Thank you CMP!!!!

For anyone interested I think I would be willing to trade my RR slide for a Ithaca so PM me if interested!!!

Thanks Ike