Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM

I remember my first Garand back when they doing some gun shows. Rack Grade $325 I believe. 6 digit with hardly any finish left and the 47 barrel matched with ME 1 and TE was 3. Beat to heck stock. Still one of my best shooters. I picked up 2 of the woodless danes, 265 each and both were perfect. Wish I would have had the cash back then to stock up on those...
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM

You say those were the good old days but 20 years from now we'll be saying the same thing about right now with this 1911 sale!!!! and $750 Philippine return Service Grade M1's!!!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 AM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhunter31 View Post
You say those were the good old days but 20 years from now we'll be saying the same thing about right now with this 1911 sale!!!! and $750 Philippine return Service Grade M1's!!!!!
Going to have to agree with ^^^ for sure
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM

How about the Bavarian carbines !
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Like all ya'll I miss the good old CMP, South Store, days. My last visit was 4/18/2012. Even miss the "smell" in the store. Then there was the days.
Shot a video while there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqo1sUDuegY

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Folks the " Good old days" was from about 2000 to 2007... flat as new Post Wars, The SS was PACKED with rows of Garands, carbines, o3's and 17's...and some of those .22 Kimbers...I was SHOCKED to see Pics of the New SS...like 80% smaller then the old store, crates of carbine mags, on and on. If you guys remember when we were DCM 1 rifle issued ( Mine a LEAD Winchester) that was supported for repair/ck by Army folks at the Shoots... today, ah long gone.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Best of times

The South store is less than 90 minutes from my house. Made many trips there as well as time spent volunteering . Great memories !
Anyone recall the time the Carbines were first made available ? I randomly picked one up, carried it around awhile. A guy told me that there were several folks following me waiting for me to put it back in the rack. Turned out, he said ,that there were only 2 like the one I had and he had picked up the other one. We both had Auburn Univ. hats on. Guess that helped.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:29 AM

My first visit to CMP was 2003, when I volunteered to assist the Armorer’s. I worked with Jim and I was assigned the Danish barreled receivers.

There was a young guy that was on leave from the Army and he was wanting to complete his Danish Navy Garand. I found him a rear sight with an anchor on it and it made his day.

Jerry, the Chief Armorer, would come out of the back and visit with us .... He and Orest went back a long way... I picked out an HRA SG with a RRAD 65 rebuild and an SA 65 barrel...After 3 days, We were out in the parking lot ready to leave, Jerry comes out, walks over to me and thanked me for coming and have a Safe trip home.

Second visit was 2007 as I was accepted to the first GSM Master Instructor Course. The South Store had just opened and CMP had their first run of “Specials”, Commercial barrels, CMP stocked version.

The Illustrious Leon of later South Store fame was in this class conducted by Gary Anderson. Orest spent a lot of time visiting with us and hosted a lunch @ the South Store. Good people.

To me, those were the “ good old days”
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 PM

I started buying from the CMP in 2005. Things have slowed down considerably now. I wish they would have a run on "unwanted" AP ammo again.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
I remember my first Garand back when they doing some gun shows. Rack Grade $325 I believe. 6 digit with hardly any finish left and the 47 barrel matched with ME 1 and TE was 3. Beat to heck stock. Still one of my best shooters. I picked up 2 of the woodless danes, 265 each and both were perfect. Wish I would have had the cash back then to stock up on those...
I remember going to Harrisburg Gun show one year and the CMP had tables set up and you could pick a rifle out and they would tag your name on it. and the guys would load them in their truck. You had I think 60 or 90 days to send the paper work in along with payment. You would receive your M1 within two weeks. I ordered a rack Grade at the time because I thought it had a Winchester Trigger group in it that I needed for my Winchester. When I got it, the trigger guard was the only thing Marked Winchester. It was still worth the $325 I paid for it.Those were the good old Days!!!!