Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 05:47 PM

He may have a minimum chamber, but he said he chambers M2 with no problems. US M2 will consistently measure at 0.000 or within minus .002" base to shoulder datum, with a RCBS Precision case gauge. Properly FL resized cases (within .002" either way) will chamber. Good Shooting. ..
Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Someone here who's initials are "ceresco" keeps telling us how much chambers and dies vary in size.

Meaning if the cases were fired in a fat chamber and the resizing die is on the large size it "might" be the problem.

And how many times have you read people having problems with brass fired in one chamber and not fitting in another chamber after full length resizing.

Bottom line, when a case is fired it springs back smaller than the chamber. And when full length resized it springs back larger than the die. And sometimes the pluses and minuses of chambers and dies do not size a case enough. Especially today when the stock holders govern the quality control of chambers and dies.

I have a standard Lee .223 die that will size the case smaller in diameter and push the shoulder back further than my RCBS small base die.

And on my 1943 Remington 03-A3 I had the opposite problem with a chamber diameter in XXX Large size and warped banana shaped fired cases.

Another example at the link below and look at the variations in .223 die neck diameters.

Are Your Sizing Dies Overworking Your Rifle Brass?
http://www.massreloading.com/dies_ov...ing_brass.html
Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Adjust your sizing die so it touches the shell holder when the ram is fully up. Lower the ram and screw the die down 1/4 turn and lock in place. When you raise the ram to maximum it should cam over the shell holder. If it won't cam over with a firm pressure on the handle, back off on the die just slightly so it does cam over.

Now size a case and see if it chambers.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 04-06-2018, 05:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Simple. Forget the gauges for now, it is your chamber that counts. Take some of your brass and full length size a couple the same as before, then screw the die down a guarter turn and size a couple more. Try them in your chamber and you will probably see that your problem is solved. BTW.. you should always check sized brass in the rifle before you complete the loading process. Good Shooting. ...
Bingo. What this guy said. You should be caming out the press on the down stroke. Also don't want to state the obvious or sound like an insult but,
I had a similar problem reloading for my carcano. Rember the 1903 is a control feed bolt. If you are just taking the round, putting it in the chamber, and tyring to close the bolt, it's going to take a lot of force depending on rim thickness, which varries alot with mil surps brass.Those rounds need to come up from the mag and slide under the extractor claw.
When I discovered what I was doing wrong, I was like duhhh. My die is fine. Operator error.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Homey B

Thanks to everybody for the advice. This weekend, I'll set my sizing die up for the "camming over" situation and resize a few pieces to experiment with. Hopefully, this will help the situation.

I'll let everybody know the outcome once I have one
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Homey B

Apologies for waiting so long to get back to this.

Camming over helped make the difference, and now the brass fits the rifle chamber without a hitch. I've gone back and resized all of the clean brass I have down this way so that there won't be issues in the future. And I have learned the lesson of "gauges are nice, but it still has to fit the chamber."

Thanks again to everybody involved in educating me.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey B View Post
Apologies for waiting so long to get back to this.

Camming over helped make the difference, and now the brass fits the rifle chamber without a hitch. I've gone back and resized all of the clean brass I have down this way so that there won't be issues in the future. And I have learned the lesson of "gauges are nice, but it still has to fit the chamber."

Thanks again to everybody involved in educating me.
That's why we are here