Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Static Clinging

When I empty my RCBS Powder Dispenser, powder particles "cling to the inside of the glass cylinder or plastic whatever it is any remedy for this. I usually just brush particles out with a toothbrush. Any way to make it stop. Dryer sheets? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 PM

Read both articles at link below

Reloading Tip — Eliminate ‘Static Cling’ in Powder Measures
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...wder-measures/
Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 PM

When I first started , Lee recommended rinsing with dilute soapy water then allowing everything to dry. It leaves a visible film, but I have never gone back and reapplied it.
Seems to have worked without any problems for me.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 AM

Thumbs up

I do the Bounce dryer sheet thing. Works!
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I do the Bounce dryer sheet thing. Works!

This.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 AM
Banned

It depends on the powder. If the flakes are black, they have a graphite coating, so you should be able to keep up the graphite in the hopper to mitigate static just by using those powders. For pale flake powders, like Universal, I don't know about coatings. They could well remove graphite, requiring you to add some. But in the main, I see the running-through of graphite as a do-when-new kind of thing, unless you are using such powders.

The additional step I've taken is to run some electrically conductive tape in a vertical strip down the inside, over the edge and onto splayed ground wire strands on the outside, which then connect to ground through a 1 megohm high voltage resistor. The resistor limits discharge current so that touching the tape when you have a charge on you doesn't create a spark of any consequence. But this is me being an electrical engineer using things I have lying around. The smarter thing to do would be to run the tape flat (I used copper tape because I have some, but aluminum foil tape would work), and then use a cheap commercial static dissipating wrist band around the the outside of the hopper to contact the tape, and ground its lead. The resistance is built into those. It'll conceal a small portion of the hopper, but near the top, who cares? You can buy a couple of spares and wear one while you handle powder if you want to avoid the build-up altogether.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ljagdtiger
Default powder cling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
When I empty my RCBS Powder Dispenser, powder particles "cling to the inside of the glass cylinder or plastic whatever it is any remedy for this. I usually just brush particles out with a toothbrush. Any way to make it stop. Dryer sheets? Thanks.
try grounding your press. Eliminates static electricity Had problem with Dillon press years ago. Dillon said ground press. Solved the problem.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Thanks to all including Larry's Bounce sheets. Will try all methods. Just glad to be reloading again.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Also do dryer sheets.

Bill
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Spray the inside of the powder measure with Static Guard and allow to dry. Works for me.