Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8232J View Post

The internet articles scared me off.... for a while. Slamfires, reloading mistakes that take apart rifles, etc. There's enough stuff on the net (much of it from people who build and sell these rifles) to give one second thoughts.
I have been reloading ammunition for M1s since the early 1970s. I never knew there was anything complicated about it until the Internet came along. I just followed the same reloading practices I used for everything else. I have never had an ammunition-related problem.

All you need is a standard reloading setup, a set of full-length dies, a loading manual, and some attention to detail. No gauges, bullet comparators, runout gauges, or other voodoo required.

I have not changed my reloading recipe for decades, except for the following two things:

1. I mostly use Varget instead of 4064. Better accuracy. I shoot Varget in below zero temps. Have not experienced a problem with the ammunition.

2. I use bullets that are far more accurate than the crummy bullets that were available when I started.

Results: 1 MOA groups from my match M1. Rifle has been extensively massaged.

1 MOA ammo is easy to produce. Holding 1 MOA on the range is a bit harder. If you try to fix your marksmanship problems at the reloading bench, you will waste a lot of time.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 04-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
https://www.scribd.com/document/4085...Rifle-J-Clarke

I believe this is the NRA data spoken about here. Interesting that they go up to 200 gr bullets, which according to the forum is a big no no.

I'll stick to my 47 gr. "M2/80" 150fmjbt load and my 46 gr 168 HPBT load of 4064 as they do all I can ask. .
Yep.

You can shoot any bullet weight you like with the right loads. The velocity you can achieve with 200s in the M1 is pretty sad. 168-175 is the sweet spot for long-range loads in the M1. This will carry you to 600 with no problems. If you want to shoot the M1 at 1000, you will have to push things a bit and accept any consequences that come your way.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 04-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
I have been reloading ammunition for M1s since the early 1970s. I never knew there was anything complicated about it until the Internet came along. I just followed the same reloading practices I used for everything else. I have never had an ammunition-related problem.

All you need is a standard reloading setup, a set of full-length dies, a loading manual, and some attention to detail. No gauges, bullet comparators, runout gauges, or other voodoo required.

I have not changed my reloading recipe for decades, except for the following two things:

1. I mostly use Varget instead of 4064. Better accuracy. I shoot Varget in below zero temps. Have not experienced a problem with the ammunition.

2. I use bullets that are far more accurate than the crummy bullets that were available when I started.

Results: 1 MOA groups from my match M1. Rifle has been extensively massaged.

1 MOA ammo is easy to produce. Holding 1 MOA on the range is a bit harder. If you try to fix your marksmanship problems at the reloading bench, you will waste a lot of time.
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
.30-06:

Any 150, 168, 175 - 46.0 Varget

Any 110 - 50.0 Varget or IMR 4350. Slight preference for 4350

Source - Hornady and Sierra loading manuals. No magic involved. These loads will shoot one-hole five-shot groups from bolt guns at 100 yards. It is (mostly) a myth that individual rifles are particularly finicky as to tiny changes in powder charges.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 04-15-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
.30-06:

Source - Hornady and Sierra loading manuals. No magic involved. These loads will shoot one-hole five-shot groups from bolt guns at 100 yards. It is (mostly) a myth that individual rifles are particularly finicky as to tiny changes in powder charges.
Exactly, no magic involved. This is the about the same loads that I have used for yrs. My best load is 168 Sierra match,46.2 4895 w/ hxp or military match brass. As you know every gun is different, so have fun finding the best load.

Last edited by cjr; 04-15-2018 at 05:06 AM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
.30-06:

I was more curious on your powder choice. I too am a huge fan of varget.

Sorta how 24 grains of varget and a 77 grain SMK will always shoot in an AR
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I was more curious on your powder choice. I too am a huge fan of varget.

Sorta how 24 grains of varget and a 77 grain SMK will always shoot in an AR
25 grains of Varget behind a Sierra 52 MK shoots like a laser to 200, or 300 on a calm day.

Varget is about the perfect powder for any service rifle load. 4064, 4895, and RL-15 can also work very well. The only exception (in my experience) is 110s in the .30-06. Many people use Varget successfully behind 110s. My experience with the .25-06 led me to try 4350. I get better accuracy with 4350. Your results may vary.
ACEP-certified coach