Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 AM

I like to find a node around 2500 for my precision bolt rifles for both 168 and 175.
Same ammo has performed very well in my M25 .308 in a JAE stock.
Granted, I shoot only out to 300 in precision but the 2500 fps is working extremely well.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
I have spent a lot of time playing with 30-06 rifles. (Gibbs A4,1903's,03A3's, Sporters, etc..)
Combed the net for hours & hours searching for match loads.
Multiple guns, hundreds of range hours and thousands of rounds.
Conclusion, for your A4 with a 168, 56 to 57 grains of 4350 is your best bet. ( I prefer IMR4350)
Every barrel is different and they change as they wear. JMHO
What is your velocity, as I mentioned I have a pretty fast lot of powder
Old 04-06-2018, 01:28 PM

Default velocity

2900+
I don't think your H4350 is that much faster then mine. Is it old ?

Last edited by 8milimeter; 04-06-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
2900+
I don't think your H4350 is that much faster then mine. Is it old ?
A year old. My buddy also said his newest lot is faster
Old 04-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
MV tells you everything. I have extremely good luck with velocity ladder load devlopment. I can usually get a load roughed in about 12 rounds. My issue, hence the question of what velocity is your 168 grain accuracy load. There's usually a direct correlation with mv and accurate rounds. My current lot of powder was producing speeds I didn't expect. Like one guy mentioned Gold medal match is around 2700. If 8 people say I get sub MOA around 2750 I will know I need to back up my load and re do my ladders test. If everyone says, Yeah my got round is around 2900 I'm going to move forward with the data I have
"MV tells you everything"

Bah, humbug. Accuracy tells you everything. I don't have a clue what the MV of any of the ammo I load is and I still load very accurate ammo based on load laddering. Most of my AR ammo in 9 different calibers shoots sub to very sub MOA. MV?? Who knows. You can "node" it to death and still not build accurate ammo until you take it out and test it. With one barrel you could shoot MOA with 2900 ammo but put that same ammo in a different rifle and it could shoot 2 MOA until you reduce the velocity to 2600 or 2700.

Last edited by lapriester; 04-06-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
"MV tells you everything"

Bah, humbug. Accuracy tells you everything. I don't have a clue what the MV of any of the ammo I load is and I still load very accurate ammo based on load laddering. Most of my AR ammo in 9 different calibers shoots sub to very sub MOA. MV?? Who knows. You can "node" it to death and still not build accurate ammo until you take it out and test it. With one barrel you could shoot MOA with 2900 ammo but put that same ammo in a different rifle and it could shoot 2 MOA until you reduce the velocity to 2600 or 2700.
Just because you don't know what I'm talking about doesn't make me wrong. I think you have been wasting time and money doing things like we did in 1963.

You should check into the 6.5 guys site. They have a great video about load devlopment within velocity nodes. I have been doing their method of load devlopment for years now. It saves time and components. Im just new to 30/06 and what the beast likes. How do you build accuate ammo if you don't no your SD and ES? Big deal if it groups well at 100 yards. If you have huge spreads in speed you mulitply your error at distance and you will miss on balstics alone.

I think you should check out what Im talking about. It really is very insightful for building prescion long range ammo.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 PM
GSM Master Instructor

2600ish.
Mike B
Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Just because you don't know what I'm talking about doesn't make me wrong. I think you have been wasting time and money doing things like we did in 1963.

You should check into the 6.5 guys site. They have a great video about load devlopment within velocity nodes. I have been doing their method of load devlopment for years now. It saves time and components. Im just new to 30/06 and what the beast likes. How do you build accuate ammo if you don't no your SD and ES? Big deal if it groups well at 100 yards. If you have huge spreads in speed you mulitply your error at distance and you will miss on balstics alone.

I think you should check out what Im talking about. It really is very insightful for building prescion long range ammo.
Is that method better than the OCW method(optimal charge weight)?
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#
Bill
PS there was a guy at the range 3 months ago shooting a custom 6.5 CM, he wasn't interested in his groups for each batch loaded, he was writing down the MV of each bullet in his batches, and calculating SD & ES(yes I know what they are).

Last edited by NAMVET1970; 04-06-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added the PS
Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
2600ish.
Mike B
This. Wont gain much of anything going faster.

ED SD If this is on anything that looks like service rifle. you're wasting time.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 04-06-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET1970 View Post
Is that method better than the OCW method(optimal charge weight)?
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#
Bill
PS there was a guy at the range 3 months ago shooting a custom 6.5 CM, he wasn't interested in his groups for each batch loaded, he was writing down the MV of each bullet in his batches, and calculating SD & ES(yes I know what they are).
B
My buddies are all long range precision shooters and I learned to reload from them and I showed them how to shoot the Lords rifle (M1 garand). It's just how I do things.

I don't know if it's better. I have had great success with it. As one guy mentioned, it being a waste of time for service rifles, I agree. This post isn't about service rifles or load devlopment. I just wanted simple Intel about what guys are getting to shoot good for them.

Here's an example. I loaded 10 rounds in .2 grain increments. Magnetoed the speeds, plot the numbers on a graph. It should look like 2 mountains with a flat spots on each mountain. Pick the load (ideally) in the middle of said flat spot. Shoot it for groups. If it groups, shoot it to see if your SD is low( under 10). Tune groups with seating depth. Zero rifle. Plug your data into your favorite balastic app. Your done building a ringer of a load. I'm not an expert, consult your local F class guys for more details.