Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Lapriester,. Do you set yourself a limit to the times you reload your 7.62 brass? My brass is once fired Federal XM80 from a 200 round can I purchased. Eddie
No, I just keep an eye out for possible case failures after 3-5 loadings. About all I ever find is a split neck once in a great while. I don't load hot so I rarely have any failures. That brass should last you a long time if you load mid specs and see no pressure signs. I have a bunch of LC LR I've been loading for my 308 Garand, 7.62 NATO Garand and AR10 for a couple of years. Some are 4X and going strong and have yet to need trimming after initially trimming to "trim to" length before the first loading. Not even a single loose pocket so far.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM

Once again, Thank you. Eddie
Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Gentlemen,.
Thank you all for your response. I have the Hornady 9th edition handbook and am using military primers , IMR 4064 and Sierra Match king 168 BTHP . I had the bullets for a while and want to try them out first. My main concern was sizing the brass to .308 specs. in a 7.62 chambered barrel. From your replies I believe this not to be a concern.
I seriously doubt your M1A has a 7.62 NATO chamber. If you bought it new, it should have come with a tag attached stating what the chamber headspace had been cut to. Did it have the tag, and if so, what was the headspace? If it was in the range of 1.630 to 1.634, then it is a 308WIN chamber, not 7.62 NATO.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
The brass and ammo all starts out the same size, it's all 308 specs, commercial or military. You won't find any 7.62 NATO sizing dies anywhere and you wouldn't need them if you did. Don't bother using commercial brass or shooting commercial 308 Win ammo in a 7.62X51 NATO rifle chamber. It's not recommended, it's soft, thinner and can fail on the first firing or soon after. Loading for a 7.62 chamber you should use 7.62 brass if you don't want immediate failures or very short brass life.

I've never had any issue sizing brass fired in a NATO chamber. I see no need to run it in a 30-06 die first. Machine gun brass, IMHO should be avoided. Good NATO/7.62 brass isn't that hard to find or just buy some cheap White box Federal M80 from PSA or elsewhere. it's cheap, very decent plinking ammo and in great LC cases. There's also a ton of pulled LC primed brass available that's good stuff.

This and the LC LR primer pockets are not crimped: https://www.rmrbullets.com/products/...cases-1-pulled
Larry,

I've been holding onto some once fired commercial brass I picked up at the range. The cheapskate in me was going to try it in my M14. I'll save it for a bolt gun. The Winchester stuff is paper thin.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Larry,

I've been holding onto some once fired commercial brass I picked up at the range. The cheapskate in me was going to try it in my M14. I'll save it for a bolt gun. The Winchester stuff is paper thin.

Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, Winchester is junk and Federal isn't much better. RP is pretty good stuff and the nickel Speer is really good but I still would avoid shooting the commercial in the 7.62 chamber. I shoot the H out of the RP and Speer in my 308 Win AR10 and Garand but not in my 7.62 Navy Garand much, even though the Navy is a rare one that passes a 308 Win No-Go and should be OK with commercial.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post
I seriously doubt your M1A has a 7.62 NATO chamber. If you bought it new, it should have come with a tag attached stating what the chamber headspace had been cut to. Did it have the tag, and if so, what was the headspace? If it was in the range of 1.630 to 1.634, then it is a 308WIN chamber, not 7.62 NATO.
The barrel on my M1A is a marked H&R 7790190 12-60-1. The rifle is a pre-ban M1A S/N 042xxx . I purchased it used. ME is 0 , I do not have a TE gauge. I've been working up a load with 168 gr. Sierra Match Kings and 38.0 grs, of IMR 4064. I've been working on a seating depth and the OCL is 2.865 to the rifling . I didn't want to exceed the SAMMI limit of 2.810 so that is where I am now. I'm not sure if I should go beyond that point. Eddie

Last edited by epm729; 05-13-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:47 AM

There are a few things you should know before you begin loading for an M1A but they donít have anything to do with the barrel. You might want to read these:

http://www.mssblog.com/2017/07/20/re...ading-success/

http://www.m14.ca/reloading/14_loading.pdf

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/oncefired.pdf
Old 05-19-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Larry,

Thanks for the heads up!
I have been reloading rounds for my M1A since a bought it over 20 years ago. My standard load using 168 gn BT bullets is 44.5 gn of IMR4064. The COL is between 2.79 and 2.80 inches. I use Winchester WLR primers exclusively. The cases are checked after each firing and trimmed to 2.00 inches. This load has proven accurate, consistent and safe. The MV is 2,700 fps using LC brass and about 50 to 100 fps faster than commercial brass.

As for brass, I have been finding it harder to get a steady supply of LC brass in recent years and have been using Winchester, Federal and R-P brass. The only problem I have found is with Federal brass. With Federal brass I get between 3 and 5 reloads before the primer pockets will no longer hold primers. Then I put the cases in the scrap pile and eventually I sell them to a recycle place. Military grade brass shoot about 100 fps faster than commercial brass because military brass is thicker than civilian brass. The only problem with military brass is the removal of the crimp which is a bit of a pain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have been reloading rounds for my M1A since a bought it over 20 years ago. My standard load using 168 gn BT bullets is 44.5 gn of IMR4064. The COL is between 2.79 and 2.80 inches. I use Winchester WLR primers exclusively. The cases are checked after each firing and trimmed to 2.00 inches. This load has proven accurate, consistent and safe. The MV is 2,700 fps using LC brass and about 50 to 100 fps faster than commercial brass.
Are you using that same load with both LC and commercial brass? Iíve been at 42.0gr of IMR4064 with 168gr BT bullets and LC brass but it leaves something to be desired and Iíve been hesitant to go higher. Now that Iíve figured out how to attach my Magnetospeed to the M1A, Iím going to chrono it and see where Iím at. Iím thinking that Iím around 2600.

BTW, there seems to have been quite a few people selling ďonce-firedĒ LC on the AR15.com forum recently.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:20 PM

[[email protected];1719628]I have been reloading rounds for my M1A since a bought it over 20 years ago. My standard load using 168 gn BT bullets is 44.5 gn of IMR4064. The COL is between 2.79 and 2.80 inches. I use Winchester WLR primers exclusively. The cases are checked after each firing and trimmed to 2.00 inches. This load has proven accurate, consistent and safe. The MV is 2,700 fps using LC brass and about 50 to 100 fps faster than commercial brass.

As for brass, I have been finding it harder to get a steady supply of LC brass in recent years and have been using Winchester, Federal and R-P brass. The only problem I have found is with Federal brass. With Federal brass I get between 3 and 5 reloads before the primer pockets will no longer hold primers. Then I put the cases in the scrap pile and eventually I sell them to a recycle place. Military grade brass shoot about 100 fps faster than commercial brass because military brass is thicker than civilian brass. The only problem with military brass is the removal of the crimp which is a bit of a pain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Isn't 44.5 grs. a little high for a service rifle. My Hornady manual tops out at 41.6 grs. IMR 4064. I'm new to loading the .308 and am just seeking information. Eddie