Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Underwood Carbine Stock....Correct For The Carbine?

I acquired a 3/44 Underwood carbine (serial # 4068092) that is possibly all correct.

All parts are Underwood, from a Underwood supplier, or correctly unmarked. All parts show the same patina.

My question is about the S.A. SHM marked P-U stock. From what I have read that stock (marked the way it is) was not used in the carbine's serial number range.

In fact I thought it was just a post war rebuild stamp.

S.A. SHM stamp.

Carbine pics.

Serial pic.

Last edited by 1srelluc; 08-23-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 PM

That is a rebuild stamp, as you thought.
To clarify, what is commonly called a "rebuild stamp" is really the "I passed Inspection stamp". All carbines got one to get out of the facility doing the rebuilding. Some carbines got every part changed out on a stripped receiver, while others may only got a flip safety and late mag. catch up grade. Or anything in between.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 08-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Wow. What a nice crisp SA rebuild marking
Im Jealous! One of the last carbine lotteries had a few nice ones
Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Type III P-U Stocks were used from ser.# 2,500,000 on . Unless you can feel or see where it was cut down from a High Wood Stock , then it is the correct Stock . Bob
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loughlin View Post
Type III P-U Stocks were used from ser.# 2,500,000 on . Unless you can feel or see where it was cut down from a High Wood Stock , then it is the correct Stock . Bob
It's a honest type III P-U stock. No evidence of a re-cut.

To muddy the waters a bit I am being told that in this case it might just be a inspection marking and not from a full-blown rebuild.

Col. Steven H. MacGregor (SHM) was commanding officer at that time at SA (November 1945 and August 1947) and I was told that SA had not really ramped-up the total rebuilding of M1 carbines yet but that they did do inspections and replace/upgrade parts as needed.

I can't say if that was the case or not, it's just coming from folks on other forums and a friend who I showed it to whose opinions I value when it comes to M1 Carbines.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Like all of mine , going back 30 + years , I have bought and traded parts to make my collection correct . Just my thoughts that , who ever had your Carbine before you bought it most likely did the same . There are mixed feelings on correcting or leaving as received on most Military firearms . I like the as way it looked when it left the Factory . Today , the cost of finding the right parts can cost A LOT . Or the parts are aftermarket repo parts . Just enjoy your Carbine , but look out for the Carbine Bug . It's very contagious . Bob
Old 08-24-2019, 02:25 PM

The carbine has been through a rebuild facility, if the stock is original to the carbine, even if no parts were up graded. Many, many carbines were rebuilt/up graded during the war both at home and abroad. Yes the stamp is an inspection passing mark. We commonly call it a "rebuilt stamp" in error. That is what all carbines, rebuilt or not, got. A "rebuild stamp/inspection stamp" does not signify any, what or all the parts which were up graded. The stamp signifies the carbine has been through a Arsenal or somebody rebuilding carbines and passed inspection to get out.
And there is little way to know for sure, that stock has always been on that carbine. It could have been changed out two weeks to thirty years before you acquired it.
With all of this crayola said, there are carbines which were sold by DCM in the 60's that came from directly from an Arsenal to a new owner in original condition or only a part or two changed out. I appears there was not hard rule, that X, Y, and Z, were to be changed out and A, B, and C were not "today".
Old 08-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Few thoughts: a bit hard to see in the picture but I don't see a UEF cross cannons on the right side of the stock. If the stock is sanded, it's unlikely it would have been kept with the action at an arsenal.
The recoil plate can leave a "fingerprint" on the stock where it's tightened down, if the milling marks in the metal match same pattern in the wood those parts have been together a while. Similarly, the same happens between the receiver tang and the recoil plate. These may give you some more clues on originality.