Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM

Default WTS: Springfield Service Grade Special M1 Garand.

For sale is a CMP Service Grade Special M1 Garand made by Springfield. The serial number is 5890407.

I bought this M1 from the CMP in 2010 when the CMP Sales Catalog described Service Grade Specials as having Collector Grade metal with a new stock set and stock metal parts. The barreled action and internal parts have little wear. The Service Grade Specials of years past should not be confused with the CMP's current Special Grade, which uses refurbished receivers and new commercial barrels.

The stock is CMP wood with the CMP stamp. Full disclosure: this is not the original CMP wood set that came with the rifle. When I bought the M1, I had a decent but not pristine period correct SA wood set that I thought would go well with the collector grade metal, so I swapped it out. Subsequently, I used the original CMP stock set on another project. When I decided to sell this rifle I couldn't bring myself to offer it with a less-than-excellent stock set, so I installed a brand new CMP stock set to make it essentially as it was when I bought the rifle. I have not sanded, cleaned, stained, wiped down, or otherwise done anything to the finish of the stock. The photos tell the story. Lockup is very tight.

Using a CMP gauge, the muzzle wear is less than 1. Throat erosion as measured by a Stone Axe gauge is 2. Full disclosure: shortly after purchase I put about 40 rounds through it. The worst three-round group at 25 meters was 0.75"; the best three-round group was less than 0.5" with the holes touching. I believe this will be an excellent shooter. After that initial range trip, the rifle was not fired again.

I had planned to keep this rifle but I have since acquired an actual CMP Collector Grade Springfield M1 to represent the maker, and I also built a SA Special Grade last year in the CMP Advanced Maintenance Course to shoot, so this M1 is now excess to my needs.

Price: $1250 plus actual shipping cost to your FFL of choice or your C&R.

I will ship whichever way you want to pay for. Shipping must be to an FFL or C&R. If shipped to an FFL, your FFL must accept shipments from a private individual or C&R holder, your choice. Copy of signed FFL required before shipping to FFL. Copy of signed C&R plus ID required before shipping to C&R.

Rifle will be shipped in a CMP hard case with en bloc clip, VCI barrel protector tube, chamber flag, CMP M1 booklet, new production sling, a copy of the CMP certificate of authenticity, and a copy of the CMP invoice that shows this is a SA Service Grade Special.

Payment by USPS money order preferred.

First "I'll take it" posted here gets it. Follow up with PM to work out payment and shipping details.

Difference in color is just a function of the lighting.

Maybe a bit less than 2, but certainly no more.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 PM

More images:

Old 08-26-2019, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Is/was looking for one....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=251026
Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Scott,
I'll take it. PM sent.

Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-27-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 AM

Default Seconds

Seconds if the unexpected should happen.

Nice rifle!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 AM

SPF to Big Red.