Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Default CMP Special Grade in stock?

I'm hoping to drive down from NC sometime in the next few weeks, and I'm just curious if the CMP Special grade is frequently in stock, or if that grade is currently more difficult to come by. I'm mostly interested in a good shooter for competition and hunting.

Thanks if anyone can help!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:25 PM

CMP Special Grade not available in store right now and probably be that way for a while as they are using them to fill mail orders. You should submit a mail order, wait is probably 4 to 5 months. This isn't one that you need to hand pick since it's a rebuilt rifle in essentially new condition (ie little variance between them).

Here's a thread showing current wait times for these via mail order:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=114000
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Service Grade, Special HRA

I got my HRA the other week, love it. Like a brand new rifle except for a few scuffs and wear marks on the metal.

I did some browsing on the forum here, but didn't find an answer. So what is the deal with the HRAs? How did CMP come to have a batch like new barreled receivers that had no wood?

My only guess is that there were crates of unfinished barreled receivers that never got put into stocks.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOhio View Post
I got my HRA the other week, love it. Like a brand new rifle except for a few scuffs and wear marks on the metal.

I did some browsing on the forum here, but didn't find an answer. So what is the deal with the HRAs? How did CMP come to have a batch like new barreled receivers that had no wood?

My only guess is that there were crates of unfinished barreled receivers that never got put into stocks.
Orest posted that they found the rifles missing only stocks and stock metal which they have replaced with the newly manufactured stocks and stock metal.
The remaining parts are in "Collector" grade condition. The HRASS is the best buy at the moment. The 4 I have purchased all have as new old stock metal. Barrels have gone through the classic barrel break in. Groups tighten up around the 150 rd mark. Buy quick before they run out! Wait time is about 35 days now.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM

OP was looking for a CMP Special, but I agree Service Grade Special is much more appealing to me. And it's available in store to boot.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Big difference between the Service Grade Specials and the CMP Specials - even if the price is only $50 different.

The SGS are as stated collector grade except for brand new stocks. Problem is that they are only avail in post korea serial #s for both SA and HRA.

The CMP Specials are refinished receivers (and possibly other parts such as OpRods & Trigger housings) with a brand new Criterion barrel and new stock (same stock as the SGSs) and a sling, a fully outfitted rifle. You can get WW2 SAa in this grade, but the receiver has been refinished.

Think logically about it. WW2 receivers got the most use; post Korea receivers (and the whole rifle) got hardly any use.

Logically there would be a higher proportion of post Korea SAs and HRAs that would have seen little if any peacetime use and NO wartime use. That's why the rifles (minus the stocks) are so nice and why they never got rebuilt at arsenals - they never needed to be re-built! The stocks however would still have suffered through and simple handling if nothing else. That's why there are no corrects or collectors right now (auction only - whenever). It's also why so many regular Service Grades are getting new (birch) stocks, the wood stocks just didn't hold up like the steel.

WW2s, on the other hand (and the few Korean ware made ones), got LOTS of use, barrels had to be replaced, receivers went through several winters in wartime, so everything got worn, and pitted. So a WW2 comes in, basically OK, but barrel is pitted out and receiver has almost no finish. Or the barrel was replaced and the receiver was refinished during a depot rebuild.

The ones with depot replaced barrels become SGs or FGs and the ones that need new barrels become CMP Specials.

It's all quite logical, my dear Watson.