Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 x 5 View Post
Do you fire those field grades? Do they shoot well?
Yes they are gauranteed to function but you have to remember the muzzles "may" be worn and barrel in need of replacement if you are expecting any kind of accuracy.
I have personally measured muzzles that were 6-7 on the gauge . Yes they are still within the grade descriptionin this condition
For the newbie a FG may not be the best option. Many of them will need some work.
That being said "if" you can handpick Field Grades are definatly worth a look ,there are some gems hidden amoung them.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me in what condition I might expect a fleld grade Garand to be? Obviously they will be rougher than a service grade, but can I assume a field grade rifle will be fully functional and rust-free? .

My suggestion is that you carefully readthe grade description and expect to get exactly that. If you get anything better it will be a bonus . This way there is no dissapointment

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than 3 on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Anyway, back to positive discussion, which is what I intended,

Can anyone tell me in what condition I might expect a fleld grade Garand to be? Obviously they will be rougher than a service grade, but can I assume a field grade rifle will be fully functional and rust-free? Also, can you request one to be WW2 issue if doing mail order? Last, do they usually have field grades at the north store? I am not too concerned with manufacturer as long as it's WW2 issued.

Thanks.

oops, forgot to add, if doing mail order does the form need to be notarized? I thought I read that somewhere on the CMP site but I can't find it now.
Yes the form needs to be notarized the first time.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
My suggestion is that you carefully readthe grade description and expect to get exactly that. If you get anything better it will be a bonus . This way there is no dissapointment

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than 3 on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.
Yes, I read all that before. When I asked that question I meant more specifically what others were receiving, on average, when ordering a field grade.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 AM

6-7 muzzle wear? Wow..all I know is my 4 SAFG, during this year's panic situation, all are tagged 2+ to 4+ range on MW/TR....OK for me as not a shooter.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, I read all that before. When I asked that question I meant more specifically what others were receiving, on average, when ordering a field grade.
I have said this many, many times. If you go by what others have received you may be setting yourself up for a big dissapointment.
No one posts pics of the rifles from the low end of the grade description
Its all luck of the draw
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I have said this many, many times. If you go by what others have received you may be setting yourself up for a big dissapointment.
Its all luck of the draw
yup. walking through the north store there were a few racks of SA FG's on them. some of them looked pretty awful (mismatched stocks, drenched in cosmoline, etc). I was/am still to much of a novice to pick one up and know it for a gem in the rough. some looked in good shape, others looked not that great. none looked as good as the service grades.

there is quite a bit of variation on the FG that I Saw. the only thing that looked standard was the ME and TE of 3-4. (every one i looked at was in that range).
Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Its all luck of the draw

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. With the advice I got here I will probably stay away from field grades for now. That price tag is tempting though.

I just need to find a WW2 service grade. Should be easy...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Thanks for the help. With the advice I got here I will probably stay away from field grades for now. That price tag is tempting though.

I just need to find a WW2 service grade. Should be easy...

Field grades CAN be great rifles. Having purchased LOTS of CMP garands and been to NS many, many times over years, I can say for certain that I would never mail order a field grade unless I was just looking for a parts gun. I only get FGs when I can hand pick them in the store.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

What is the best day of the week to go to the north store? I would hate to drive up there and find out the stuff comes in the day after.

You can pm me if you don't want to give up the info-I won't tell.